SA is in the ‘planning stages’ of Fall Fest and Comedy Series

Organization hasn’t released any public event information about annual events

Georgia rapper Gunna co-headlined the SA’s Trap Fest in November 2019.

UB’s Student Association hasn’t publicly released any information regarding this year’s Fall Fest or Comedy Series, but SA president Nicholas Singh told The Spectrum last week that his team is in the “planning stages” for these events.

The Spectrum asked Singh last week about the annual events, which were canceled last year due to COVID-19. His administration — including Singh, vice president Montana Desabio and treasurer Austin Wolfgang — still hasn’t made information public about the entertainment.

Singh said SA is simply working on the events, but offered nothing else.

“As of right now, my team is currently still in the planning stages for the events listed above,” Singh wrote in an email.

In the past, SA has brought esteemed artists such as Bruno Mars, Kanye West and Mac Miller to Fall and Spring Fest, with Comedy Series showcasing legends like Dave Chapelle, Jay Leno and Chris Rock. The SA’s last in-person event was Trap Fest, held in November 2019, where rappers DaBaby and Gunna performed at UB’s Center for the Arts Mainstage Theater, which can host as many as 1,750 people.

Comedian and actress Margaret Cho performed virtually on March 17, 2020 for the SA’s Comedy Series.

With time continuing to fly by, some students are beginning to wonder if the events are going to take place this year. 

Stephen Malinowski, a senior computer science major, wonders if SA may be unsure what to do because of COVID-19 limitations, but he says that doesn’t justify keeping students in the dark.

“They [SA] should be saying if there is or isn’t going to be anything [Fall Fest and Comedy Series],” Malinowski said. “If there isn’t going to be anything like Fall Fest this year, I would like to see that money go to something like free seats to a Bills game, or some type of discounted activity.”

The SA began offering free AMC tickets to students on Sept. 12. Students can pre-order up to three tickets across the semester.

Singh, a senior civil engineering major, won an uncontested race for SA president in April with 1,462 votes, compared to 930 abstentions. Wolfgang’s election to treasurer was also uncontested. Desabio won the only contested race, beating out Steven Holguin by nearly 250 votes to become vice president.

The SA didn’t hold an in-person Fall Fest, Spring Fest or Comedy Series last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Comedy Series has a beginning balance of $55,000, according to the SA’s General Ledger. Fall and Spring Fest have a beginning balance of $250,000. The SA has not listed any further transactions relating to the production of either event.

Only time will tell when the SA provides an update, but The Spectrum will continue to keep students in the loop as more information rolls out.

Alex Falter is the senior arts editor and can be reached at alex.falter@ubspectrum.com 

ALEX FALTER
IMG_4613 (2).jpg

Alex Falter is a senior arts editor at The Spectrum.