Tuesday, June 22, 2021
The independent student publication of The Unversity at Buffalo, since 1950

UB hires Joe Cauthen as defensive coordinator

Cauthen coached with Maurice Linguist for a year at Valdosta State

The Joe Cauthen hire marks the first major addition to Maurice Linguist’s staff since the 37-year-old was named head coach on Friday.

UB is hiring Joe Cauthen as its new defensive coordinator, according to Pete Thamel of Yahoo! Sports.

The hire marks the first major addition to Maurice Linguist’s staff since the 37-year-old was named UB head coach on Friday.

Cauthen, who was hired by Arkansas as a defensive analyst in 2021, last served as defensive coordinator/linebackers coach at Houston from 2019 to 2020.

Cauthen has experience as a defensive line/linebackers coach at Middle Tennessee and as a defensive coordinator at Arkansas State, Valdosta State and Texas A&M-Commerce.

Linguist has ties with Cauthen, as he was the safeties coach on Cauthen’s defensive staff at Valdosta State in 2008.

Cauthen was highly successful at Arkansas State, where he directed one of the top defenses in the Sun Belt Conference from 2014 to 2018. The Red Wolves totaled 79 interceptions in Cauthen’s five seasons as defensive coordinator, seventh-best in the nation during that span.

Under Cauthen’s direction in 2020, Houston ranked 55th in the nation in total defense and 16th in sacks per game.

With seven bowl games and over 30 years of coaching experience under his belt, Cauthen brings a veteran presence to UB’s coaching staff.

Anthony DeCicco is the Senior Sports Editor and can be reached at anthony.decicco@ubspectrum.com and @DeCicco42 on Twitter

Support your local paper
Donate Today
The Spectrum has been covering the University at Buffalo since 1950, your donation today could help #SaveStudentNewsrooms. Please consider giving today.

ANTHONY DECICCO
anthony-decicco-1.jpg

Anthony DeCicco is the senior sports editor for The Spectrum. In his free time, he can be found playing video games, watching ‘90s Knicks games and arguing with people on NBA Twitter at 3 a.m.