What to expect at Slee Hall this semester

String Quartets, Juliard415 and legendary violinists among standout Spring events

<p>The Choir of Gonville &amp; Caius College performed in the Slee Visiting Artist Series, last semester.</p>

The Choir of Gonville & Caius College performed in the Slee Visiting Artist Series, last semester.

In a musical time where hip-hop and pop dominate arena concerts and punk shows run underground venues, it feels like classical music is underrepresented in the performance scene.

But it isn’t hard to find it at UB.

Slee Hall is one of the most exciting performance venues to catch musicians younger and older performing classical music. From Romantic to Modern piece performances, a variety of pieces will be showcased throughout the Spring Semester.

You can see the full UB Music Department performance program by clicking this link, but here are some notable performances to not miss.

Slee Beethoven String Quartet Cycle Concerts III and IV: Calidore String Quartet

Feb. 15 and 16

After performing I and II from their Cycle Concerts series during the Fall, the Calidore String Quartet is back to perform III and IV.

Consisting of Jeffrey Myers (Violin), Ryan Meehan (Violin), Jeremy Berry (Viola) and

Estelle Choi (Cello), the quartet will be performing Quartet in D Major, Op. 18, No. 3, “Grosse Fuge,” Op. 133 and Quartet in F Major, Op. 59, No. 1 the first night, and Quartet in F minor, Op. 95 “Serioso”, Quartet in B-flat Major, Op. 18, No. 6 and Quartet in A minor, Op. 132 the second.

In late April, they will also be returning to perform V and VI in the series.

Faculty Recital: Michael Tumiel, clarinet

March 1

Graduate Masters in Music student Michael Tumiel will be performing on the clarinet at Slee in early March!

He will be performing Mario Davidovsky’s “Synchronisms No. 12”, Donald Martino’s “A Set for clarinet”, Louis Spohr’s “Sechs deutsche Lieder” and Béla Bartók’s “Contrasts.”

Slee Visiting Artist Series Concert V (Juliard415)

March 31

Interspersing English with musical performance, the fifth installment in the Slee Visiting Artist Series will be a unique one. Juliard415 is a group of musicians from The Juliard School who play period-instruments: instruments that may not be around anymore but were once popular.

The night will feature music including by but not limited to Jeremiah Clarke, Pelham Humfrey and John Baniser. In-between pieces will feature readings of snippets of writing by the legendary William Shakespeare.

Eastman Organists’ Day

April 3

The Eastman Organists’ Day is held once a year at UB and showcases talented organists from the Eastman School of Music. For those interested in displays of musicianship from some of the most talented students playing organ today, don’t miss this.

Center for 21st Century Music Concert with Ensemble Mise-En and violinist Irvine Arditti

April 11

Legendary violinist Irvine Arditti will have a residency at UB from April 7-11 this Spring. Arditti is one of the most well-respected violinists alive today and is known for working with legendary figures of classical music such as John Cage.

On the 11th, he will be performing with Ensemble Mise-En to premiere David Felder’s “Jeu de Tarot II.” The rest of the program is yet to be announced but will be able to be found here.

Alex Whetham is the senior arts editor and can be reached at alex.whetham@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @alexo774 

ALEX WHETHAM

Alex Whetham is an asst. arts editor for The Spectrum