Homecoming highlights: Bulls lose in overtime fight against Ohio

UB falls short 21-20 against Ohio at UB Stadium

Quarterback Kyle Vantrease holds the ball against the Ohio Bobcats during the homecoming game at the UB Stadium on Saturday.

The Bulls (2-4, 0-2 MAC) lost in overtime against the Ohio University Bobcats (2-3) in their opponent’s first conference matchup Saturday. The Bobcats, coming off of a three-game losing streak, put their losses behind them and capitalized on Buffalo’s inability to produce throughout the game.

The game remained close throughout, as quarterback Kyle Vantrease took over for Matt Myers, who was out with an upper body injury. 

The end of the first quarter saw both teams scoreless, despite Vantrease’s impressive 61-yard pass to running back Jaret Patterson at the end of the quarter. Patterson’s run following the catch brought the Bulls to the 10-yard line, where the drive stalled in the red zone. Kicker Jackson Baltar then missed a 24-yard field goal, as it went wide left. 

Minor slip ups persisted throughout the game.

UB vs Ohio 2.jpg

UB defends the end zone in last season's game against Ohio.

And despite the stagnant score, UB began the game with a strong defensive tactic, forcing Ohio’s Michael Farkas to punt the ball 32 yards. Defensive end Taylor Riggins had an impressive sack and a quarterback hurry during the drive, which forced an incompletion. 

UB dominated possession for the first quarter, carrying the ball for 9:39, almost double Ohio’s 5:21.

The second quarter then saw a fast-paced start. 

Vantrease completed a four-yard pass to Dominic Johnson, resulting in the first touchdown of the game. Baltar’s kick was also good, bringing the score to 7-0.

The touchdown capped off a 90-yard drive consisting of 15 plays that took 8:14 off the game clock. 

The Bulls offense did a good job at moving the ball with 214 total yards offense in the first half. Vantrease was 10-13 with 115 yards and one touchdown, all while Marks led the Bulls in rushing with nine carries for 59 yards. Tyrone Hill and Joey Banks were all over the field in the first half. Hill earned six total tackles and Banks trailed close behind with five.

The start of the third quarter saw Ohio quarterback Nathan Rourke score a 5-yard touchdown run, as the drive consisted of eight plays and 78 yards and brought the game to 7-7 with 10:44 left in the quarter. 

Vantrease then fumbled the ball at Ohio’s 25-yard line where Ohio was quick to recover it. The fumble halted the Bulls’ six-play, 50-yard drive.

Ohio’s offense wasn’t able to take advantage of the fumble, as Kadofi Wright caught the first interception of his career, giving the Bulls’ offense the ball at their 9-yard line. 

The Bobcats then earned a touchdown and an extra point in the quarter, capping the score off at 7-7 before entering the fourth.

The first play of the fourth quarter saw the Bulls forcing a turnover in their own territory. Koonce then forced a fumble, recovered by Riggins, as UB’s defense stood tall.

UB peaked in the fourth when Vantrease threw a 34-yard pass to Antonio Nunn, resulting in a touchdown and bringing the score to 14-7 Buffalo.

Nunn Celebration.jpg
Wide receiver Antonio Nunn celebrates with fellow teammates after a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

The Bobcats’ O’Shaan Allison then completed a touchdown run just one yard out, tying the score at 14-14 with 10:39 left in the game.

The Bulls later went on a ten-play, 36-yard drive that didn’t result in points as Baltar missed a 46-yard field goal.

The game went to overtime at 14-14.

Ohio won the overtime coin toss and chose to play defense.

Vantrease had a 3-yard rush, resulting in a touchdown. Baltar missed the extra point but the Bulls led 20-14.

The turnover to Ohio didn’t last long as Allison rushed into the end zone from 5 yards out. Ohio secured the extra point to win the game 21-20.

Head coach Lance Leipold was still hopeful for his team, and Baltar, after the loss.

“The kicker is a true freshman and had a bad day,” Leipold said. “He’ll bounce back and so will we.”

Marks, who earned 22 rushes for 112 yards, was also hopeful.

“This team has the style to win games,” Marks said. “We’re young but we’ve still got fight in us.”

Buffalo heads to Akron, OH on Oct. 19 after getting some much needed rest before their third conference game against the Zips (0-5). 

REILLY MULLEN
Image from iOS.jpg

Reilly Mullen is the editor-in-chief at The Spectrum. She is a senior majoring in political science with a journalism certificate. She enjoys Dunkin’ iced lattes and Scrabble. A former web, features, news and managing editor, she is a columnist at heart but has covered everything from UB Football to breaking news.