UB’s sponsored research funding grows by $8 million

<p>UB’s sponsored research totaled $178.4 million for the fiscal year ending June 30 –– $8 million more than last year.</p>

UB’s sponsored research totaled $178.4 million for the fiscal year ending June 30 –– $8 million more than last year.

The university received 1,751 individual awards, 85 more than last year, according to a UB press release.

Venu Govindaraju, vice president for Research and Economic Development, reorganized the office to emphasize research enterprise and regional economic development when he came to UB in January 2016. Since then, UB’s sponsored expenditures grew by “roughly $20 million,” according to the press release.

“The growth of UB’s research enterprise is directly linked to strategic investments the university and its partners have made in recruiting world-class faculty to Buffalo, including early-career researchers and developing state-of-the-art research laboratories,” Govindaraju said.

Research expenditures included $32 million for an initiative to better market technology at UB, $22.5 million for BioXFEL, a medical imaging research collaboration and $16 million to establish the Clinical and Translational Research Center with partners on the Buffalo Niagara Medical campus.

Brittany Gorny is the senior news editor and can be reached at brittany.gorny@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @BrittanyUBSpec 

BRITTANY GORNY

Brittany Gorny is the senior news editor.