Stampede Stats: RedHawks defeat Bulls with strong third quarter

UB football team loses to Miami (OH) 34-20

The Bulls run on the field at Temple.
The Bulls run on the field at Temple.

The Bulls (2-3, 0-1 MAC) lost a rough game and benched their quarterback Matt Myers against Miami (OH) (2-3, 1-0 MAC). The Bulls had a strong first half but fell apart in the second, losing the game 34-20. 

What led to the loss

Neither quarterback played exceptionally well in the first half, but Myers made a great 20-yard throw to Antonio Nunn for the opening touchdown. 

While the Bulls started the game off well, UB made a game-changing mistake in the second quarter. Myers fumbled the ball late in the quarter off a third-down play, deep in UB territory. Luckily for the Bulls, their defense came up huge, stopping the RedHawks three straight times and holding them to a field goal to make the score 14-13 Bulls at halftime.

The lead didn’t last long for the Bulls in the second half, as a defender hit Myers, causing him to throw an interception and leading to a Miami touchdown. After a Buffalo punt, the RedHawks drove down the field, scoring another touchdown off a 13-yard pass. 

Myers was later benched in the third quarter after an uninspired performance,  completing 4 of 16 passes for 59 yards, a touchdown and an interception. Quarterback Kyle Vantrease, who filled in for Myers, didn’t throw many passes in the loss, with only four in a quarter and a half of play. 

The UB offense’s main issue was keeping possession. Four turnovers off two fumbles and two interceptions sunk the Bulls’ chances to score any more points. 

Who showed out

Running back Jaret Patterson was impressive with 22 carries for 183 yards. He also had a powerful 82-yard touchdown run, breaking two tackles on his way to the long score. Patterson was the most consistent performer for the Bulls, averaging 8.3 yards a carry. 

Patterson’s teammate in the backfield Kevin Marks was excellent as well, rushing for 101 yards on 17 attempts. Both backs were the main reason why the Bulls could keep the game close, but it wasn’t enough as their offense struggled in the pass game. 

What’s Next   

Head coach Lance Leipold will have a tough decision to make ahead of the Bulls’ home game against the Ohio Bobcats. Both quarterbacks Myers and Vantrease struggled throughout the game and neither looked like a solid starter for the next UB game. 

The Bulls will host the Ohio Bobcats (1-3) for their first home conference game of the season. This will be an exciting game, and both teams will look to get past their slow starts to the season. 

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com