CJ Massinburg, Nick Perkins to join NBA Summer League

Massinburg heads to Brooklyn, Perkins to Los Angeles

CJ Massinburg (shown here) and Nick Perkins will take part in the NBA Summer League.

Former UB basketball players CJ Massinburg and Nick Perkins will be taking their talents to Brooklyn and Los Angeles, respectively, this summer as members of the NBA Summer League.

Massinburg, a former UB guard who just recently graduated as the second-highest scoring player in school history with 1,990 points, announced that he’ll be playing for the Nets summer league team on his Instagram Friday night.

“I asked God to take over as a kid,” Massinburg wrote. “He then said ‘Watch me work.’ Thankful for the opportunity @brooklynnets let’s get it! #OnlyTheBeginning”

perkins.jpg
Perkins holds his own against a defender.

Perkins, former Bulls forward who was named MAC Defensive Player of the Year, was announced as a member of the Lakers Summer League team by UB Athletics’ Twitter page Friday night.

Massinburg and Perkins had a record-breaking season at UB this spring, with Massinburg's highest-scoring game being against West Virginia during UB’s third game of the season. Massinburg’s 43-point game and Perkins defense gave the Bulls what they needed to move on in a year ending with a 32-4 record and a MAC championship.

The NBA Summer League begins on July 5.

Brenton J. Blanchet is the editor-in-chief and can be reached at Brenton.Blanchet@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @BrentonBlanchet

BRENTON J. BLANCHET
brent.jpg

Brenton J. Blanchet is the 2019-20 editor-in-chief of The Spectrum. His work has appeared in Billboard, Clash Magazine, DJBooth, PopCrush, The Face and more. Ask him about Mariah Carey.