Graduation grooves

Bops to celebrate the big day

<p>Graduation is a time for celebration. <em>The Spectrum</em> compiled a list of songs to commemorate the end of the 2018-19 school year.</p>

Graduation is a time for celebration. The Spectrum compiled a list of songs to commemorate the end of the 2018-19 school year.

The end of the year is a time of celebration. You can find a reason to rejoice if you survived finals week.

Especially if you’re a senior.

Listening to music can be a great way to commemorate a year of hard work. The Spectrumcompiled a list of songs to celebrate graduation and the end of the 2018-19 school year.

“We Are the Champions”- Queen

With the 2018 release of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” Queen has stepped back into the spotlight. “We Are the Champions” is widely considered a popular victory song. “We Are the Champions,” released in 1977 on the band’s album “News of the World,” received the No. 2 spot on the U.K. Singles Chart and No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100.

“We Are the Champions” was the official theme song for the 1994 FIFA World Cup, reestablishing its status as a success anthem. Graduating students can feel like “champions” listening to this song. The song’s catchy melody and choir-like harmonies give anyone who listens to it a feeling of achievement.

“High Hopes”- Panic! at the Disco

“High Hopes,” released on May 23, 2018, is the second single from Panic! at the Disco’s most recent album, “Pray for the Wicked,” provides a celebratory feeling. The song has a compelling narrative of humble beginnings to high levels of success that any graduating student can relate to. It is almost impossible not to feel encouraged by the song’s central message of never losing faith and working hard to make dreams reality.

“Best Day of My Life”- American Authors

Last semester, the second Fall Fest concert featured American Authors. The band closed the show out with “Best Day of My Life.” Featuring banjos and a heavy bass drum backing, the song blends various genres and creates a pop-punk feeling. 

“Best Day of My Life” will have any graduate on their feet dancing. With its upbeat tempo and lyrics, the song radiates positivity. Seniors can make graduation day the best day of their lives with this fun hit.

“All Star”- Smash Mouth

You would be lying if you said you didn’t associate this song with “Shrek.” Though many people know this song from the Dreamworks franchise, the Smash Mouth hit was released in 1999, a whole two years before its feature in the first “Shrek” film. The song reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100.

“All Star” is full of self-confidence, praising those who take the “back streets” and “break the mold.” The class of ‘19 can celebrate their “all-star” status with this song. The song’s catchy melody will be stuck in people’s heads long after graduation is over.

“Don’t Stop Believin’”- Journey

From the opening keyboard riff, this song is a recognizable classic. Released as the second single in Journey’s 1981 album “Escape,” “Don’t Stop Believin’” reached No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song reached platinum status in the U.S., selling over 1,000,000 copies.

The classic power-ballad features powerful bass guitar and keyboard sections. The song has a message of holding on to your dreams of the future. The class of ‘19 can come together and look forward to the future.

Julianna Tracey is the assistant arts editor and can be reached at julianna.tracey@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @JTraceySpec.

JULIANNA TRACEY

Julianna Tracey is a freshman music theater and history double major. She’s excited to explore all that the Buffalo arts scene has to offer.