UB social fraternity activities suspension to last until fall

Internal review committee to investigate Greek life

Vice President for Student Life A. Scott Weber will oversee a committee to review each of UB’s 21 fraternities and 16 sororities with a focus on anti-hazing. 

Weber made this announcement Monday to a room of 14 reporters, two days before the death of freshman Sebastian Serafin-Bazan became a national news story covered by media including The New York Times, USA Today and CBS News.

Serafin-Bazan died on Wednesday morning, six days after being hospitalized following an alleged hazing involving Sigma Pi fraternity at a University Heights home. Serafin-Bazan allegedly went into cardiac arrest while performing strenuous exercises. 

“I think it’s our responsibility to constantly evaluate our programs and policies,” Weber said. “It’s the first time I think one of our recognized fraternal organizations has been potentially involved in such a situation. … I think this gives us the chance to take a pause, review and reaffirm our values.”

In addition to hazing, the committee will look at “health and safety educational programs policies and practices,” according to a press release.  

Pamela Stephens-Jackson, director of fraternity and sorority life, did not attend the news briefing. She also has not returned repeated Spectrumemails and calls asking for information on Greek life, the amount of money raised by Greek organizations for charity and the number of disciplinary actions in recent years, including suspensions, against students for Greek-life activities. She asked a Spectrumreporter who showed up at her office to leave. 

Weber said he had no interaction with Sigma Pi prior to the tragedy. He has, however, surveyed the area with the Buffalo Police, which has jurisdiction in the University Heights where many fraternity houses are located.

JACKLYN WALTERS
Headshot 1.JPG

Jacklyn Walters is a senior communication major and The Spectrum's managing editor. She enjoys bringing up politics at the dinner table and seeing dogs on campus.