UB officials confirm student involved in alleged hazing incident is alive in hospital

UB identifies 18-year-old Sebastian Serafin-Bazan as victim

The 18-year-old UB student, Sebastian Serafin-Bazan, who is the victim of an alleged hazing incident, is alive and currently hospitalized at Buffalo General Medical Center, according to UB spokesperson John DellaContrada. DellaContrada said he could not release any further medical information. 

The student is in stable condition, according to a secretary at Buffalo General Medical Center.

Members of UB fraternity Sigma Pi allegedly “ordered” Sebastian Serafin-Bazan, a medical technology major from Port Chester, NY, to do strenuous physical exercise Thursday night at 69 Custer St., according to a Buffalo News article. Serafin-Bazan, who was recovering from a respiratory ailment, was then taken outside for “fresh air” after which he allegedly fell and hit his head on a coffee table, according The Buffalo News.

UB’s campus has been rife with rumors that the student died, but this is untrue, according to UB.

Following the alleged incident, UB President Satish Tripathi has suspended all official social sorority and fraternity activities, including Greek Week. Academic sororities and fraternities will not be affected, DellaContrada said. 

Tripathi and other UB staff visited Serafin-Bazan and his family in the hospital on Saturday, according to DellaContrada. 

Vice President for Student Life A. Scott Weber wrote in an email on Saturday that "there is no timetable regarding lifting the current suspension" on official Greek life activities.

This is a developing story and we’ll update you as we have have more information.

Tanveen Vohra is a co-senior news editor and can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com. 

TANVEEN VOHRA

Tanveen Vohra is a former senior news editor and covered international relations and graduate student protests.

tanveen.jpg