'Trapper's delight:' A Spring Fest playlist

A list of songs to prepare you for the May 4 concert

<p>On Monday, SA announced that Lil Baby, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodi, and Rich the Kid would perform in this year’s Spring Fest. <em>The Spectrum </em>compiled a playlist of the artists' songs, to prepare for the upcoming concert.</p>

On Monday, SA announced that Lil Baby, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodi, and Rich the Kid would perform in this year’s Spring Fest. The Spectrum compiled a playlist of the artists' songs, to prepare for the upcoming concert.

The Student Association announced the lineup for this year’s Spring Fest last Monday. The May 4 concert will feature rappers Rich the Kid, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie and Lil Baby. Students’ reactions to the announcement have been mixed, but generally positive.

Before you head to this year’s concert, it’s a good idea to brush up on the artists’ hits. The Spectrum compiled a playlist of songs to prepare you for the event.

Rich the Kid ft. Kendrick Lamar - “New Freezer”

Dimitri Roger, who performs under the name Rich the Kid, released his debut album, “The World is Yours,” in 2018. He released “New Freezer,” the album’s lead single, and received positive reviews. The single features a verse from heavyweight Kendrick Lamar, showing Rich the Kid’s collaborative skill.

The song’s trap beat gives a lively and energetic feeling. The lyrics praise bling and other expensive objects like sports cars, jets and of course, new freezers.

Rich the Kid - “Plug Walk”

Rich the Kid released “Plug Walk” in February 2018 as the second single of the debut album. The song earned positive reviews and peaked at No. 13 on the Billboard Hot 100, and reached triple-platinum status in the U.S.

The song links drugs with space, with references to E.T., “space coupes” and spaceships. “Plug Walk” features punchy beats from the song’s producer, TheLabCook. The song is upbeat and energetic, and can easily pump students up for the big night.

Rich the Kid - “Just for You”

“Just for You” stands out among Rich the Kid’s other pieces. The song combines rap verses with R&B vocals to create a genre-defying sound. 

The piece is truly a love song, with lyrics from an artist promising to be faithful in a previously unstable relationship. “Just for You” includes heartfelt lyrics like “I got to thank God cause God made you perfect,” “But now I love you girl, I really need you girl” and “Only you and me.” The song is full of emotion, yet still upbeat and catchy.

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie - “Drowning”

Co-headliner A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie is best known for his single “Drowning.” The song is the lead single to A Boogie’s debut studio album, “The Bigger Artist.” The song reached the No. 38 spot on the Billboard Hot 100.

“Drowning” features a muffled beat, creating the sense of being underwater. The piece’s minor key makes the song feel as cool as ice, while its sing-song style adds a feeling of celebration as if the listener were drowning in riches.

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie - “Look Back At It”

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie released his second studio album, “Hoodie SZN,” in December of 2018. The album’s lead single “Look Back At It” debuted at No. 95 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart but soon climbed to No. 32 on the charts. The song reached gold status in the U.S. and sold over 500,000 digital copies.

“Look Back At It” samples Michael Jackson’s “You Rock My World” and “Remember the Time.” The song’s heavy beat will make it easy to get excited about the upcoming concert.

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie ft. Queen Naija - “Come Closer”

Last semester’s Fall Fest featured a female-dominated performance by three R&B singers, one of which was Queen Naija. 

Queen Naija’s collaboration with A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, “Come Closer,” mixes R&B styles and rap. The song begins with acoustic guitar chords that continue to play under A Boogie’s rap verses. 

The two performers work well against each other, seeming to feed off of each other’s energy. Queen Naija flips the lyrics, seemingly winning the argument in the piece.

Lil Baby and Drake - “Yes Indeed”

The last of the Spring Fest lineup, Lil Baby, released his debut album “Harder than Ever” in 2018. The album’s second single, “Yes Indeed,” reached critical success, peaking at the No. 6 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and reaching triple platinum status in the U.S. with over 3,000,000 digital sales.

Lil Baby made the song in collaboration with Canadian rapper and hip-hop/pop heavyweight Drake. The song’s infectious beat and catchy lyrics make it easy to join in. “Yes Indeed” can keep anyone excited for the future concert.

Lil Baby - “Drip Too Hard”

Lil Baby’s collaborations with other artists seem to be critically successful. Lil Baby’s collaboration with singer and rapper Gunna resulted in the mixtape “Drip Harder,” which resulted in the two rappers’ most successful piece, “Drip Too Hard.”

“Drip Too Hard” peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The two artists show off their chemistry, with lyrics competing with one another. The two boast their diamonds and private planes and Lil Baby’s rapid delivery is interrupted by Gunna’s smooth vocals to create a diverse competition.

Lil Baby - “Never Recover”

Lil Baby joins together his two most successful collaborators, Drake and Gunna, in “Never Recover.” The song is one of eight tracks from “Drip Harder” that made it onto the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at No. 15.

Each artist brags about their money and the number of records they make. The upbeat braggidocio competition between the artists creates an aura of confidence, allowing any listener to feel their best on the way to Spring Fest.

Julianna is the asst. arts editor and can be reached at julianna.tracey@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @JTraceySpec.

JULIANNA TRACEY

Julianna Tracey is a freshman music theater and history double major. She’s excited to explore all that the Buffalo arts scene has to offer.