University Police appoints new chief of police

University Police appointed a new chief of police Monday after a national search. 

Chris Bartolomei, former UPD assistant police chief and interim chief, began the official role as chief on Monday, following his appointment. UPD chose Bartolomei after community forums for him and two other final candidates earlier this month.

Bartolomei served UPD for 22 years before taking the position. He started his career in 1996 and has eight years of experience at command level. As chief, Bartolomei is in charge of managing, planning and directing all UPD officers’ activities.

During his public forum, Bartolomei said he plans to implement the best policing practices, build better relationships with students and the community and emphasize the importance of recruiting officers for diversity.

Bartolomei’s work at UB earned UPD accreditations on both state and federal levels. 

Laura Hubbard, UB’s vice president for finance and administration, said Bartolomei was chosen for his “extensive experience and proven record of implementing best practices in policing.”

“He is focused on implementing 21st century policing practices emphasizing innovation, creativity and community engagement at all levels of the department,” Hubbard said in a press release. “Chris will ensure that positive, culturally competent police-student interactions will be at the core of UB’s community policing strategy.”

Bartolomei said he is “eager to sharpen the department’s focus on developing effective community policing partnerships.” 

“During my two decades of service to UB, I have developed a sincere, personal concern for the reputation of this institution and the well-being of our students, faculty and staff,” Bartolomei said in a press release. “I am proud to be part of this university, and I am especially proud of the men and women who protect it. I am truly honored to be afforded the opportunity to serve as their chief.”

Jacklyn Walters is a senior news editor and can be reached at jacklyn.walters@ubspectrum.com. 

JACKLYN WALTERS
Headshot 1.JPG

Jacklyn Walters is a senior communication major and The Spectrum's managing editor. She enjoys bringing up politics at the dinner table and seeing dogs on campus.