The Grapevine

Your monthly collection of Buffalo's sonic selections

<p></p>

The transition to fall brings out the best of Buffalo’s music scene.

From the KeyBank Center to Shea’s Performing Arts Center and Town Ballroom, a wide range of acts have planned stops in Buffalo throughout October. Rock and pop dominate the stage this month, bringing some of the biggest acts in each genre downtown.

Some even call Buffalo home.

The arts desk highlighted some of the most attractive bands and performers coming to Buffalo this October.

Smash Mouth -The Grand Hall at Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort

Friday, Oct. 19

The beloved meme band brings their performance up north for a night of ironic enjoyment. 

Smash Mouth peaked in popularity in 2001 with the inclusion of their song “All Star” on the “Shrek” soundtrack.The band has had a recent resurgence in relevance with internet users creating video edits with the song. The rock group’s cover of “I’m a Believer” also makes an appearance in the “Shrek” cinematic universe, contributing to their success.  The wholesome, early 2000s sound brings back a sense of nostalgia for fans and those interested in attending. 

The Goo Goo Dolls - Shea’s Performing Arts Center

Friday, Oct. 19-21

Celebrating the 20-year anniversary of “Dizzy Up the Girl,” the Buffalo natives will present a three-night engagement at Shea’s in the heart of Downtown. 

“Dizzy Up the Girl” is the best-selling album for the Goo Goo Dolls to date with over 4 million copies sold. The album projected the Goo Goo Dolls to the top tier of the mainstream, built off the heels of singles “Slide,” “Black Balloon,” “Broadway” and the seminal “Iris.”

Fans and newcomers should enjoy the set, which bassist Robby Takac described as “a much different show than what we’ve been bringing around for the last 20 years.”

Johnny Marr - Town Ballroom 

Saturday, Oct. 20

Former Smiths and Modest Mouse guitarist Johnny Marr brings his solo tour to Buffalo’s Town Ballroom, supporting his most recent solo album “Call the Comet.”

As a founding member of The Smiths, Marr as well as notorious frontman Morrissey crafted classics like “This Charming Man” and “How Soon is Now?”

The record showcases Marr’s signature tone and melodies while making ample room for exceptional lyrics taking aim at politics. Marr is writing for himself, while bringing the same orchestration and focus that has crafted his signature sound.

Metallica - KeyBank Center

Saturday, Oct. 27 

Metal legends Metallica are always sure to impress. 

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famers will bring their current “WorldWired” tour to the KeyBank Center in support of their tenth studio album “Hardwired...to Self-Destruct.”

Metallica rose to prominence in the ‘80s with “Master of Puppets,” which built a mainstream following following several underground releases. Metallica are most known for hits like “Enter Sandman,” “One” and “For Whom the Bell Tolls.” 

“Hardwired...To Self Destruct” debuted atop the Billboard 200 with 291,000 equivalent units sold in its first week. This marks the sixth consecutive No. 1 album for Metallica.

Justin Timberlake - KeyBank Center 

Sunday, Oct. 28 

Superstar Justin Timberlake brings his tour “Man of the Woods,” to Buffalo following his long career of acting and music. The performer will take over the Keybank Center at the end of October after traveling around New York.

Timberlake’s return to the music scene came after the release of his highly anticipated fifth album “Man of the Woods,” in February. The performer rose to fame with his participation in the popular 90s boy band NSYNC. He has a decade worth of hit songs, from “SexyBack” to “Can’t Stop This Feeling.” 

The arts desk can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com

BRIAN EVANS

Brian Evans is a senior English major and The Spectrum's senior arts editor.

brian.jpg

SAMANTHA VARGAS

Samantha Vargas is an English/ film studies double major with a minor in media study. She spends her free time finding shows around buffalo and hanging out with her cat.