Classes in Clemens Hall cancelled Tuesday due to flooding; extent of damage unknown

UB Facilities are monitoring the situation

<p>An elevator in Clemens hall is filled with water. The flooding was a result of a burst water valve on the fourth floor cooling system.&nbsp; </p>

An elevator in Clemens hall is filled with water. The flooding was a result of a burst water valve on the fourth floor cooling system. 

Classes scheduled in Clemens Hall are cancelled on Tuesday, Oct.17 due to a ruptured water valve on the fourth floor that caused extensive flooding to the basement, according to University Police. Facilities were notified about the flooding at approximately 8:00 p.m. Monday. UB sent a university-wide alert at 10:38 p.m.

Facilities staff members turned the water off and university police activated the fire alarm to alert people to evacuate the building. Facilities will remain on the scene to extract water from the first four floors. Floors five through eight will be open Tuesday and have water access, according to the UB Alert. 

Deputy Chief of Police Joshua Sticht said Facilities is assessing the situation; but the extent of the damage will not be known until the water is out of the building, as exposed electrical outlets make the area unsafe to walk through. 

The basement was the most affected part of the building, Sticht said. Once the pipes burst, water from all ten floors of the building leaked through.

This is a developing story.