News briefs

What to know in local, national and global news

Campus

UB finishes up GRoW home on South Campus

UB students are wrapping up two years of work on an award-winning sustainability project located on South Campus. More than 100 students competed and for the School of Architecture and Planning in the U.S. Department of Energy’s 2015 Solar Decathlon, according to the UB Reporter.

Their project, the GRoW home (Garden, Relax or Work) is an energy efficient 1,100 square-foot “house” currently sited on South Campus behind Hayes Hall. It will be used to hold information sessions and educate the public on sustainable architecture and solar power once completed.

Computer science celebrates 50 years of growth

The Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) will celebrate its 50th anniversary with a four-day event Sept. 28- Oct. 1. The event will bring back alumni from across the world, from companies like Google and Microsoft, to visit and reflect on the program’s development.

Department Chair Chunming Qiao said the number of undergraduate and graduate students has risen from 1,152 in 2011-12 to 1,955 in 2016-2017, according to a news release. The number of faculty members is also up since seven years ago; and research funding is up from $2.1 million in 2013-14 to $8.6 million in 2016-17, according to Qiao.

President Satish Tripathi will speak alongside other keynote speakers who are CSE alumni successful in their field.

Local

Several Buffalo Bills take a knee at Sunday’s Bills-Broncos game

Several Buffalo Bills players protested at Sunday’s game, taking a knee during the national anthem for the first time since Colin Kaepernick started the movement last year. Kaepernick began protesting to raise awareness of police brutality against African Americans; but the national discussion took on new ground after President Trump called protestors “sons of b*tches” at an Alabama rally and urged the NFL to fire players who kneel during the anthem.

Owners Terry and Kim Pegula also released a statement Sunday morning which condemned the president’s rhetoric and encouraged players to express free speech. The Buffalo News reported boos in the stadium as Bills and opposing Denver Broncos players took a knee.

Man shot early Sunday morning on Buffalo’s east side

The Buffalo News reports a 24-year-old man is believed to be the victim in a drive-by shooting early Sunday around 3:30 a.m. The man was shot near East Lovejoy and Ideal streets. The man was treated and released from Erie County Medical Center and police are investigating the incident.

National

One dead, seven wounded in Tennessee church shooting

A shooter killed one person and wounded seven on Sunday morning in Antioch, Tennessee according to a Nashville police Twitter account. The shooting was at the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ in a neighborhood in Davidson County, governed by Nashville, according to The New York Times. This story is developing.

‘Apocalyptic’ Hurricane Maria’s leaves Puerto Rico ravaged, without power

Most of Puerto Rico remains without power, and 95 percent of cell service sites are down. This leaves most of the island, including its leaders and first responders, completely cut off from the rest of the world. So far, authorities believe at least ten people are dead in the storm’s wake.

The damaged dam on Lake Guajataca continues to hold in Puerto Rico. Evacuees have begun returning to their homes despite flash flood warnings remaining in effect throughout Sunday. Aid is beginning to arrive to the territory ravaged by Hurricane Maria, the island’s worst hurricane in 80 years, according to the Associated Press.

Global

Angela Merkel wins fourth term as German Chancellor

In Sunday’s election, Germans voted to give Angela Merkel another term as German Chancellor. Her center-right party took a hit, according to exit polls, with the far-right nationalist party seeing a record turn-out at 13 percent. Merkel expressed concern over the exit polls showing; and told supporters she expected a difficult term based on the election results.

The AfD, Germany’s right-wing, anti-Islam party will have seats in parliament (Bundestag) for the first time. The election has prompted dozens of protesters gathered outside the party's headquarters in Berlin, with signs reading "Refugees are welcome,” according to the BBC.