The Grapevine

Your weekly collection of Buffalo's sonic selections

<p></p>

The easiest part of the semester is over. Your syllabi are in hand and Labor Day weekend is sadly in the books, but if you’re looking for things to do this weekend, there are plenty of musical events in and around Buffalo for your entertainment. Grab some friends and make sure to head downtown to make the most of the warm weather while it’s here.

Thursday, Sept. 7

Electric Guest – The Tralf

Indie pop outfit Electric Guest will be styling the night skies of Buffalo on Thursday. The group, headed by Asa Taccone, followed their Danger Mouse-produced debut this year with their second album Plural.

The follow-up is a moderate indietronica project with a slightly poppier sound. Although the group has pushed themselves toward a more fun edge, their psych-like motions on their debut Mondo magnetized a decent following to the group.

The show is just $15 for tickets day-of, a bargain considering the delight you’ll get seeing the band live.

Friday, Sept. 8

Bleachers, July Talk – Artpark

Although Artpark is winding down on this season’s events, September will still impress as Bleachers fills the venue.

Fresh off the release of his latest project Gone Now in June, the indie pop act pushes ’80s and mood music on its records. On a recent number, “Don’t Take The Money,” singer Jack Antonoff gets some assistance from Lorde over a capturing, dreamy instrumental.

The alternative act has brought love both near and far.

July Talk, an alt-rock collective out of Canada, will join Bleachers. Having taken over major festivals both in Europe and North America, the group dropped their latest album Touch just last year.

If you’re looking for good vibes to fill the air while the summer weather is still on, don’t miss this combo of performers to make sure your happiness stays put.

Friday, Sept. 8

Tom Rainey Trio - Hallwalls

If you’re in the mood for some jazz on a Friday evening, the Tom Rainey Trio has you covered.

Based in New York, the trio – led by drummer Tom Rainey – will perform twice at the Allentown music venue. Rainey is no stranger to brushes with some of jazz’s best, sharing and recording with stars like the late John Abercrombie, composer Barry Guy and artist Jane Ira Bloom.

German jazz master Ingrid Laubrock will also grace the stage on Friday, who was voted best soprano saxophonist in Downbeat magazine’s Annual Critics Poll in 2015. Mary Halvorson will also provide guitar workings for the trio, having previously performed with Anthony Braxton.

Tickets are just $12 for students, which is affordable considering the immense talent packed onto one stage.

Saturday, Sept. 9

Anti-Venue Tour - The Barrel Factory

Anti-Venue isn’t your average rap show, nor does its creators hope it to be.

The tour, spawned by creative staple Haute La Vie, will take place in the Barrel Factory in Buffalo’s first ward. The over 100-year-old building fits in with the tour’s goal to bring artistry to atypical locations.

The show will highlight Buffalo-based acts throughout the night, with artists like Billie Essco – whose fashion line CZEN was featured during this year’s BSU Black Explosion fashion show – and Troy Phoenix taking the stage.

The tour will pair with a daylong workshop the day before – Creative Space: Breaking Down The Industries. The workshop aims to expose those in the industry to one another in a series of sessions.

Tickets for the Anti-Venue Tour are on sale now for $20.

Saturday, Sept. 9

Roger Waters - KeyBank Center

Roger Waters’ stop in Buffalo almost didn’t happen, but the added date should pump fans up for this weekend.

Waters, co-founder of the legendary band Pink Floyd, will make his way downtown for the Us + Them tour. The tour will feature some of multi-talented act’s greatest hits and new cuts off his latest album from this year.

The Rock and Roll hall of famer has sold hundreds of millions of records with the group as albums like The Dark Side of The Moon have been raved about for decades.

Although the progressive and psychedelic rocker’s ticket prices aren’t cheap – with the lowest prices at KeyBank selling for $55 – witnessing Waters live is a must-see occasion for any music fan.

BENJAMIN BLANCHET
Father Benjamin.jpg

Benjamin Blanchet is the senior engagement editor for The Spectrum. His words have been seen in The Buffalo News (Gusto) and The Sun newspapers of Western New York. Loves cryptoquip and double-doubles.