Bold and brash in Buffalo

Things to do when you're feeling artsy, bored or both

A View of The Center For The Arts on North Campus

Photographer: Douglas Levere
A View of The Center For The Arts on North Campus Photographer: Douglas Levere

For many, beer, football and Zubaz are what make Buffalo fall truly great. For others, that’s exactly what makes it truly torturous. Regardless of the season, Buffalo’s arts and entertainment provide endless possibilities for weekend plans, but only if you only know where to look. Here are six places to keep an eye on for new things to do in between homework assignments – aside from the Albright-Knox, Buffalo’s most obvious choice for consuming art.

1. Center for the Arts – 103 Center For The Arts, Buffalo, NY 14260

The title says it all. That big white building between Alumni Arena and Slee Hall is the best place to get your arts fix on campus. Home to the art, media study, and theater and dance departments, CFA hosts a wide variety of exhibits and shows for student and public patrons to enjoy. Stop in to get tickets for concerts and theater productions in one of our four theater spaces, such as the Pixies on Oct. 1 or Zodiaque Dance Company on Oct. 18-22. If you’re short on cash or can’t carve out the time for a full-fledged production, drop by during the day to check out student work in the Art Galleries at 201 CFA or the Project Space at 155 CFA.

2. Shea’s Performing Arts Center – 646 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14202

Located downtown, Shea’s has been a formative part of the Buffalo theater scene since 1926. This beautiful and historic theater has welcomed some big names, including Frank Sinatra and The Marx Brothers, and regularly runs theater productions such as “Les Miserables” and “Phantom of the Opera.” “The Bodyguard” and “The Lion King” are among the titles featured in this season’s lineup. If musicals aren’t your thing, the theater also brings in bands and comedy acts. Steely Dan will perform on Oct. 17, as will Nick Offerman on Nov. 10 and Bill Maher on Nov. 12. History buffs may also enjoy a tour of the theater, which run during non-show days between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.

3. Dipson Amherst – 350 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14226

One of the best movie theaters in Buffalo lives right across the street from UB South Campus – Dipson Amherst. Home to the Buffalo Film Seminars run by UB’s Diane Christian and Bruce Jackson, the theater also shows a variety of newly released films, changing its lineup throughout the week. Apart from its comfy recliners and decent tea selection, the theater boasts a lineup of lesser-known films which aren’t normally screened in the bigger-name cinemas across the country. If you’re looking to catch the newest indie flick or even some Academy Award nominees, just take a walk across Main Street.

4. Mohawk Place – 47 E Mohawk St, Buffalo, NY 14203

Downtown Buffalo’s Mohawk Place is a multi-purpose hole in the wall. A comfy place to get a drink, the bar also serves as a venue for shows and local events. Every week, Mohawk Place welcomes a mix of local, national and international talent, and also houses different events, such as happy hours and themed dance parties. Keep an eye on their website or like them on Facebook to stay up-to-date on Mohawk Place’s event lineup.

5. Riviera Theatre – 67 Webster St, North Tonawanda, NY 14120

Another historic site in the Buffalo area, North Tonawanda’s Riviera Theatre – “Home of the Mighty Wurlitzer,” a 90-year-old pipe organ which has been standing since 1926. Though it has been owned by the aforementioned Shea’s and Dipson, the Riviera has a spirit all of its own. As it has for nearly a century, the Riviera continues to house stage shows and movie screenings, including an annual interactive “Rocky Horror Picture Show” screening and drag show during Halloweekend. Like many locally owned venues in Western New York, the Riviera changes its calendar frequently, so make sure to check it out if you're looking for something fun and interesting to do in a gorgeous historic building.

6. UB Anderson Gallery – 1 Martha Jackson Pl, Buffalo, NY 14214

An underrated and under visited gallery, UB’s Anderson Gallery holds the university’s public collection of over 3000 pieces as well as a variety of public exhibitions. A home for contemporary and modern art, the gallery is a great place to see and learn about art for free. Stop in or book a tour – either way, you'll get to experience something beautiful.

Grace Trimper is the co-managing editor and can be reached at grace.trimper@ubspectrum.com.