31st annual UB Distinguished Speaker Series lineup announced

Nobel Peace Prize recipient Malala Yousafzai, former White House CIO Theresa Payton and actor Jesse Williams are among the selected speakers for UB's 31st Annual Distinguished Speaker Series.

Yousafzai will kickoff the series on September 19 at 7:30 p.m. in Alumni Arena as the Graduate Student Choice Speaker. UB undergraduate and GSA represented graduate students are eligible for free admission. Tickets will be available for purchase for the general public beginning August 1 for series subscriptions and August 8 for individual lecture tickets. Other speakers include Susan Rice, James Balog and Alan Alda.

Payton, a leading expert in cybersecurity will speak on October 18. Actor and activist Jesse Williams will speak on November 18 as the undergraduate student choice speaker. 

Former U.S. National Security Advisor Susan Rice will speak on February 28 as the 42nd annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration Speaker.

James Balog, a global expert on climate change and founder of the Extreme Ice Survey (EIS), will speak on April 12.

Alan Alda, television icon, author and science communicator will close the series on May 2. Alda has won seven Emmys and and six Golden Globes and three DGA awards for directing.

All lectures will be held in Alumni Arena at 7:30 p.m. 

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com