UB Spring Fest playlist

Music to prepare for the big night

<p>Zara Larsson is just one of this year’s Spring Fest performers. The singer recently released her second full-length album "So Good" in March.</p>

Zara Larsson is just one of this year’s Spring Fest performers. The singer recently released her second full-length album "So Good" in March.

Opinions may vary on this year’s Spring Fest lineup, but the only way to really know what to expect is to listen for yourself.

Before the lights go down in Alumni Arena on April 28, it’s best to know the lyrics instead of pretending to. This playlist is a good start.

Wiz Khalifa feat. Travis Scott – “Bake Sale”

Spring Fest’s headliner has been in the game for quite some time.

Khalifa has switched up his style a few times in nearly seven years of fame. His most recent record, Khalifa, still has heavy references to smoking, but the rapper incorporates those themes in a more modern sense.

“Bake Sale” features a hook from 2016 Fall Fest headliner Travis Scott and serves as one of the high points of the album. Even though learning lyrics in a short span of time is a hassle, it won’t be too difficult screaming “hell yeah” every now and then.

Wiz Khalifa – “Black and Yellow”

Khalifa’s rise to fame was instantaneous in 2010. He dropped “Black and Yellow” and the man’s music was unavoidable.

This Pittsburgh anthem will most likely be the hype song of the night.

It’s repetitive, catchy and will undoubtedly get the crowd going. “Black and Yellow” is getting to the age where it serves a nostalgia factor for Khalifa’s shows as well.

Whatever Khalifa has planned for his set, “Black and Yellow” will be in there somewhere.

Wiz Khalfia feat. Charlie Puth – “See You Again”

Many of us have heard enough of this song, but there’s no doubting that it’s memorable. When this tune comes on, you feel like holding up a lighter and swaying from side to side. Of course that won’t be happening inside Alumni Arena, but it will still be one of the show’s highlights.

The music video is the second most viewed YouTube video of all time, so it’s rare to find someone who doesn’t know the song. “See You Again” serves as a reminder that Khalifa’s set should be an exciting one.

Zara Larsson feat. Ty Dolla $ign – “So Good”

This title track off Larsson’s most recent album isn’t just super catchy, but it’s also a clear indication that her performance will be one to keep an eye on.

The up-and-coming pop star has a unique voice that shines in the track along with its luring melody. The song features a verse from Ty Dolla $ign, whose voice matches well with Larsson’s.

Zara Larsson – “I Would Like”

“I Would Like” is a lesser known cut off So Good, but don’t be surprised if it becomes Larsson’s next big hit.

The chorus is one that can be memorized in minutes and when the beat finally drops, it’s infectious. The bridge itself is one to remember and there isn’t a part of this song that’s not appealing.

After listening to this track, I’m confident many students “would like to get to know” Larsson themselves.

Zara Larsson – “Ain’t My Fault”

“Ain’t My Fault” is a huge hit for Larsson. It helped her gain recognition as an artist, not just as a feature on EDM tracks.

The track has one of the most memorable beats in Larsson’s songbook. It’s complimented by percussion that’ll be easy for students to clap along with.

Larsson’s name may not be recognizable to everyone but with the amount of airplay that this tune has received, those in attendance should be able sing along.

Hippie Sabotage – “Able to See Me”

This Californian EDM duo has a very chill sound. The beat drops aren’t too elaborate, so there won’t be any hardcore head banging during their set – but it should keep students’ attention.

The song is, nonetheless, a solid example of Hippie Sabotage’s sound.

It features a repeated high-pitched vocal sample, which meshes well with the relaxed feel that it shoots for. It’s something that could be played in a club, but not to get the crowd going.

The duo doesn’t have too many “hype” songs, but as an opener they should do a fine job of setting the mood for the night.

Hippie Sabotage – That video where they choke out the security guard

Like many other UB students, I had no idea who Hippie Sabotage was before they were announced for Spring Fest. Through some intensive research, I now know a little too much.

Hippie Sabotage got into an altercation last year with security after their set at Portland’s What The Festival. The duo was asked to leave the stage and they refused to do so. This refusal led to a group member jumping on top of a security guard and putting him in a chokehold backstage. It was quite the performance, matching passion with showmanship.

This video clip may not be a track off the group’s latest album, but it should boost ticket reservations for Spring Fest.

Brenton Blanchet is an assistant arts editor and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com 

BRENTON J. BLANCHET
brent.jpg

Brenton J. Blanchet is the 2019-20 editor-in-chief of The Spectrum. His work has appeared in Billboard, Clash Magazine, DJBooth, PopCrush, The Face and more. Ask him about Mariah Carey.