The Rundown: This week in UB Athletics

UB baseball goes 1-2 against Kent State over weekend

<p>Senior Vinny Mallaro rounds the bases. UB baseball played in a three-game series against the Kent State Golden Flashes over the weekend.</p>

Senior Vinny Mallaro rounds the bases. UB baseball played in a three-game series against the Kent State Golden Flashes over the weekend.

Baseball (8-16, 1-2 Mid-American Conference)

The Bulls played the Kent State Golden Flashes (17-8, 5-1 MAC) in a three-game road series, going 1-2 over the weekend.

The first game was on Saturday, where the Bulls lost 9-1. Senior outfielder Vinny Mallaro had the only outfield hit. 

On Sunday, the Bulls came alive and beat the Golden Flashes 9-2. The Bulls got six runs during the sixth inning thanks to an early double by senior third-baseman Chris Kwitzer. Kwitzer went 3-5 in the game with a single in the second inning and a solo-homerun in the ninth. 

The Bulls couldn’t keep the momentum going into the third game and lost 14-0 and only recorded four hits as a team.

Up next will be the Bulls’ first home game of the season against the Canisius Golden Griffins (16-10, MAAC 2-1) on Wednesday, April 5.

Softball (6-28, 1-5 MAC)

Over the weekend, the Bulls competed in a three-game road series against the Toledo Rockets (15-23, 3-3 MAC). The Bulls started with a doubleheader on Saturday, losing the first game 6-3 and getting shutout in the second game 7-0. 

The Bulls started strong in the first game, taking a 3-1 lead in the third inning but didn’t have an answer after Toledo scored four runs in the bottom of the fourth. The Bulls were unable to get anything going in the second game, only having two hits as a team the entire game.

On Sunday, the Bulls still couldn't pull it together, losing 5-1 in their first 0-3 series this season. 

Next for the Bulls will be a road doubleheader on Tuesday, April 4 against the Akron Zips (14-18, 3-3 MAC).

Men’s tennis (9-5, 4-0 MAC)

The team started its weekend with a close 4-3 road win over Western Michigan Broncos (11-7, 2-1 MAC) on Friday. The Bulls split the single sets with the Broncos 3-3 and got the win by going 2-1 in doubles. Freshman Hao Sheng Koey and freshman Villhelm Fridell were the only Bulls who won both singles and doubles at the event. 

On Sunday, the Bulls played the Toledo Rockets (9-11, 0-3 MAC) beating them 6-1. This win means that the Bulls have won four out of their last five matches.

Next time the team is in action is on March 19 in a road match against the Binghamton Bearcats (4-10, 0-2 MAC).

Women’s tennis (6-7, 0-2 MAC)

The Bulls took on the Akron Zips (19-2, 3-0 MAC) Friday, losing 5-2 in their first conference game of the season. 

The team was strong in pairs, winning its doubles but was unable to find success in singles, going 1-5. Freshman Emel Abibula won the only Bulls singles match. The Bulls continued their weekend with another road loss to the Ball State Cardinals (16-2, 4-0 MAC) losing 5-2 on Sunday.

Upcoming for the Bulls is an away match against the Western Michigan Broncos (8-9, 2-2 MAC) on Friday, April 7.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com