The Grapevine

Your weekly collection of Buffalo's sonic selections

<p></p>

As the semester begins to wind down, many great shows will be stopping by the area. Make sure to check out this week’s gigs before schoolwork starts piling up.

Monday, April 17

Masked Intruder with On the Cinder – Waiting Room

Monday at the Waiting Room boasts the Wisconsin-based pop punk group Masked Intruder.

The group sets themselves apart from their contemporaries with their energetic live shows and unusual style of dress. Masked Intruder is influenced from groups like Face to Face and NOFX.

On the Cinder, a Buffalo-based hardcore punk group, will also share the stage. The group fuses aggressive East Coast hardcore with a hint of smoothness and melody. If you’re a fan of bands like Pennywise, Lagwagon or The Gorilla Biscuits - they’re the perfect pairing to peep.

Tuesday, April 18

Paralandra – Mohawk Place

Paralandra will be making their way to Mohawk Place for a rock-enticing show on Tuesday.

This Missouri-based group is made up of father and daughter Paul (guitar) and Casandra Carson (vocals and guitar). The two act as leaders for this hard rock band that draws shades of past acts like the Food Fighters and Alter Bridge.

The group has been known to tour with bands such as Fuel, Hinder and Wayland. In addition to performing with some fairly recognizable acts, Paralandra has performed at the Millenium Music Festival in 2015 as well as SXSW in Texas just last year.

Their on-stage performances are known for being energetic and will provide an experience some may not forget. Paralanda is worth checking out if your forte is hard rock styled with aggression and emotion.

Tuesday, April 18

Monsieur Periné - CFA

Latin Grammy award-winner’s Monsieur Periné will be performing not once but twice at UB on Tuesday night.

Monsieur Periné is a Colombian jazz-centric group that took home the award show’s “Best New Artist” trophy in 2015. The group seems to have their mind on early jazz numbers through crisp vocals and guitar strumming in albums like Caja De Música.

The band’s blend of everything from cumbia to pop sensibilities provide for upbeat, joyous tunes. If you’re searching for a fun time, make the short trek to the CFA for one of Monsieur Periné’s two performances.

Tuesday, April 18

Marc Scibilia and Corey Harper – Iron Works

Marc Scibilia is a singer-songwriter originally from Buffalo, now based in Tennessee. Scibilia’s voice has a soulful punch much like Stevie Wonder and his overall style can be compared to artists like Andy Grammer.

His live performances are chill and composed and create a relaxed atmosphere for the audience. Scibilia may be worth your time if you are looking for something relaxed yet poppy at the same time.

Scibilia will be joined by Corey Harper, a Portland-based singer-songwriter, who is known for his blend of country, folk and blues.

His melodies and lyrics pave the way for an incredibly crisp and sleek listening experience for the listener. If you’re looking the pleasures of listening to acts like Ed Sheeran or John Mayer, check out Harper’s chilled pop rock this Tuesday.

Wednesday, April 19

Tauk with Consider the Source – Iron Works

Looking for your mid-week does of jam bands? Look no further than Tauk, who will be performing at Iron Works this Wednesday.

Tauk is a self-proclaimed “dirty funk” group from Oyster Bay, NY. Their mix of progressive rock, hip-hop, and jazz make them one of the cleanest sounding jam bands around.

Their live sets are not only super relaxed, but are incredibly vibrant and visually appealing.

Many old and new fans of jam bands will enjoy the many absurd yet peaceful sounds of Tauk, so stop by Buffalo’s Illinois Street music venue.

Friday, April 21

Buddy Guy with Tom Hambridge - CFA

Blues will be in town on Friday when the legendary Buddy Guy makes his way to UB’s North Campus.

Guy, who is considered one of the best guitarists alive, has been in the game for over 50 years. His deep picks have made him a Grammy Award winning artists with albums like Feels Like Rain and Blues Singer.

Guy has collaborated with the likes of the late-great B.B. King and others, such as Junior Wells over the years.

Tom Hambridge, a fellow Grammy winner who is a Buffalo-born legend, will also join Guy. Hambridge’s production has been featured on some of Guy’s acclaimed records.

You’re out of luck if you miss this once in a lifetime opportunity to see two great artists on stage, especially in your own backyard. 

Matthew Ian Doyle is a staff writer and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com