The Rundown: Weekend in UB Athletics

UB men’s basketball continues to roll, wrestling pulls off huge comeback

<p>Sophomore guard Dontay Caruthers dunks against Central Michigan. Caruthers was named the MAC Defensive Player of the Year.</p>

Sophomore guard Dontay Caruthers dunks against Central Michigan. Caruthers was named the MAC Defensive Player of the Year.

Men’s basketball (11-12, 5-5 Mid-American Conference)

UB men’s basketball defeated Ball State (15-8, 6-4) 96-69 Friday in a nationally televised game at Worthen Arena. It was the third straight game in which the Bulls scored 90 points, the first time they have done that since the ’94-’95 season.

Senior guard Blake Hamilton had 25 points, eight assists and four rebounds.  Sophomore forward Nick Perkins added 21 points and six rebounds off the bench. The Bulls will return home to host Northern Illinois (13-9, 5-4) at Alumni Arena on Tuesday.

Women’s basketball (16-6, 6-5 MAC)

The women’s basketball team defeated Kent State (12-11, 6-5 MAC) 77-62 Saturday afternoon. Senior guard JoAnna Smith had a career high of 31 points in the game. With the win, the Bulls improve to 10-2 at home on the season.

The Bulls will be in action next Saturday at Alumni Arena where they will host Northern Illinois (16-5, 9-1). 

Wrestling (9-5)

Wrestling pulled off a huge comeback on Friday against Eastern Michigan in Alumni Arena. Eastern initially jumped out to a 12-0 lead before Buffalo rallied off 20 straight points to take the 20-12 victory.

Sophomore Kyle Akins (125 lbs.) and sophomore Jake Gunning (285 lbs.) each defeated the 17th ranked wrestler in the country in their respective weight class.

However, the Bulls had less success Sunday at Alumni Arena, where they were defeated 35-3 by MAC foe Central Michigan.

Women’s tennis (1-0)

The women’s tennis team dominated its first action of the year, picking up a 7-0 win over St. Bonaventure on Friday at home. 

The team’s match against Youngstown State this weekend was cancelled. No date has been set to make the match up at this time.

The team will next be in action this Friday at home against Detroit Mercy.

Men’s tennis (1-3)

Men’s tennis was defeated Saturday in a road match against 19th ranked Columbia (2-1) at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center in Manhattan. The Bulls dropped the match 6-1.

The Bulls got their only point of the match at second doubles when the team of freshman Hao Sheng Koay and junior Vidit Vaghela won 6-4. Koay also won his singles match, UB’s only singles win of the day.

The Bulls will be in action next Saturday at Army.

Swimming and diving 

UB’s swimming and diving team swept Cleveland State on Saturday. The men’s team won 149-94 while the women’s team won 160-83. The women’s team had 10 first place finishes, while the men had nine. 

The Bulls next meet will be at the OSU Invite in Ohio this Saturday.

Track & field

The track and field team was in action this weekend at the Akron Invitational. Senior sprinter Joshua Gali had a standout performance, breaking the school’s 200-meter record with a time of 21.25. Senior Ryan Billian also nearly broke the record in the same event, finishing second with a time of 21.53.

On the women’s side, freshman distance runner Sylvia Russell ran the 3000-meter in 9:58.02. The Bulls will next compete in the Sprite D-I Invite in Geneva, OH on Friday.

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com