What women voters at UB see in Hillary Clinton

<p>Danielle Dispenza (right) and Sarah Fullington (left) sit outside of the Student Union. Dispenza said she will vote for Hillary Clinton due to her disdain for Donald Trump and Fullington said she will not vote at all.</p>

Danielle Dispenza (right) and Sarah Fullington (left) sit outside of the Student Union. Dispenza said she will vote for Hillary Clinton due to her disdain for Donald Trump and Fullington said she will not vote at all.

Alliyah McIntosh believes Hillary Clinton is the best candidate for president and can represent women like no president before.

“She has children of her own,” McIntosh, a junior exercise science major, said. “She has a family of her own, she really gets what it’s like to be a woman.”

Women who are voting for Clinton, like McIntosh, believe Clinton represents a new page for American democracy and representation. Clinton holds 52 percent of female votes, while her opponent Donald Trump holds 39 percent, according to The New York Times. Clinton puts women’s rights at the forefront of her campaign, a topic she’s been fighting for her entire life, according to her website.

McIntosh’s main concern in this election is women’s rights and with Clinton in office, she believes women will benefit in the long run.

Jordan Jennings, a senior health and human services, cites her extensive work on women’s rights as why she supports Clinton.

“I do want someone in office who does affect my everyday living, we need someone who cares about women’s equality and issues,” Jennings said. “Specifically, we need someone who cares about the topic of abortion and our rights. Hillary is that person for me.”

Jennings said she cannot relate to all of Clinton’s policies, but understands and supports her platform because she is a woman. She said Clinton offers her security and that is why she will receive her vote.

Danielle Dispenza, a sophomore English major, supports Clinton due to her disdain for Trump.

Dispenza believes a vote for third party is a vote for Trump since no third party candidate has ever successfully been elected.

“I feel like it's about time a woman was in office more than anything,” Dispenza said. “I also feel this will help young women and little girls realize that they really can do anything.”

Despite the support for Clinton from female students, there are still people that are unhappy with the candidate.

Those who are not voting for Clinton discuss scandals that have followed her throughout the duration of the election and don’t believe she is a reliable model for womanhood.

Sarah Fullington, a senior chemistry and English double major, is against Clinton as the future president, but she says this doesn’t mean she is in favor of Trump.

“I’m not voting in this election. I’m registered, but not voting because both candidates are awful choices,” Fullington said. “If I had to pick between a non-convicted criminal whose actions have led to Americans getting killed versus a misogynistic racist, who avoids paying taxes, I'd choose the lesser of the two evils, I'd pick Donald Trump. I support more of his policies.”

Fullington believes that Clinton’s most recent email scandals are too much to forgive and puts the country in danger. She said “political crimes would become more frequent” if Clinton gets in office.

Gabrielle Mellen, a junior chemical engineering major, won’t vote for Clinton this election either.

“She’s a liar, better than Trump,” Mellen said. “As for Trump, I am a Muslim and that whole situation worries me. It sucks that the election happened this way.”

Mellen also said Clinton’s election would be another historical moment for the U.S. if a woman received the presidency.

Jane Ferris, a junior biological and chemical engineering major, doesn’t prefer either candidate and won’t vote in this upcoming election.

She said Clinton is crooked, untrustworthy and more interested in her own agenda than the people of America.

“As for Donald Trump, I may not like what he is doing, but at least he is more likely to be blunt about it,” Ferris said. “Hillary Clinton on the other hand would probably take part in something that I don’t approve of and we won’t find out about it for a long time.”

Election Day is on Tuesday and women are looking for representation and support from their future president – which may or may not be Clinton.

Elizabeth Silburn is a staff writer for the features desk and can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com