The rundown: wrestling scores near-upset, football gets shutout

<p>Two UB wrestlers grapple. The Bulls nearly upset No. 7 ranked Cornell this weekend.</p>

Two UB wrestlers grapple. The Bulls nearly upset No. 7 ranked Cornell this weekend.

Football (2-9, 1-6 Mid-American Conference)

The Bulls were underdogs coming into Saturday against Western Michigan (11-0, 7-0) and ultimately fell 38-0. The Bulls defense played well in the first quarter and prevented the Broncos from scoring, but when the first half was over, the score was 14-0 in favor of the Broncos.

After the half, the Broncos offense kicked into full gear and by the end of the game, Western Michigan’s quarterback Zach Terrell threw for 445 yards and four touchdowns. However, the Bulls did a great job stopping the run, something they’ve been struggling with all year. They held Jarvion Franklin to 76 yards. Junior linebacker Ishmael Hargrove led the team with 15 tackles and a forced fumble.

Senior Grant Rohach started at quarterback with freshman Tyree Jackson dealing with a knee injury. Rohach threw for 140 yards and no touchdowns. Senior running back Jordan Johnson rushed for 95 yards.

The team will close out the season on Friday at Bowling Green (3-8, 2-5 MAC).

Men’s basketball (2-1, 0-0 MAC)

The Bulls faced Nazareth for its home opener this past Thursday. The Bulls dominated Nazareth, only allowing 13 second-half points.

The final score of the game was 85-38, this being the fewest points the Bulls have allowed in a game since Feb. 1, 1979. Sophomore forward Nick Perkins led the Bulls in scoring with 21 points. He also had eight rebounds, four blocks, an assist and a steal. Senior wing Blake Hamilton had 11 assists, eight points, five rebounds, two blocks and three steals.

The team will be on the road, travelling to Alaska to face the Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves on Wednesday, starting at 11 pm.

Women’s basketball (3-0, 0-0 MAC)

The women’s basketball team recorded another win against Manhattan Jaspers. The team is now 3-0 on the season. The first quarter ended with the Bulls leading 21-9 in which they went on a 17-0 run. The final score was 73-39.

The bench helped the team out, recording a season-high 49 points. Sophomore guard Gabi Bade led the team in scoring with 11 points and three rebounds. Senior guard JoAnna Smith finished the game with 10 points, four rebounds and two steals. The Bulls defense forced 26 turnovers, which they turned into 25 points.

The team will travel to Duquesne University on Tuesday for their first road game this season. The game starts at 1 pm.

Wrestling (0-1 Dual, 0-0 MAC)

The Bulls travelled to Ithaca this past Saturday to face 7th-ranked Cornell University. The Bulls jumped to a 9-0 lead, before falling 18-15.

There were three straight wins from the 125, 133 and 141 weight classes. Afterward, Cornell won the next four with a score of 18-9. Senior James Benjamin, 197 pounds, won the second-to-last match with a reversal in the third period. The final match was a win for UB which sophomore 285 pounder Jake Gunning won 5-4.

The Bulls stayed in Ithaca to compete at the New York State Collegiate Championships. 

Women’s Soccer (7-8-5, 4-4-3 MAC)

The women’s soccer team had eight student-athletes named to the Academic All-MAC team on Thursday. This is a program record. This honor is given to a student-athlete who has at least a 3.20 cumulative GPA and participated in at least 50 percent of the contests for that sport.

The players who received the honor were junior midfielder Julia Benati, senior midfielder Andrea Niper, sophomore forward Carissima Cutrona, junior goalkeeper Laura Dougall, sophomore forward Jessica Marlowe, sophomore defender Nicole Gerritz, senior midfielder Ashley Evans and sophomore midfielder/defender Meghan Simmons.

Niper and Gerritz received 4.0’s.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com