Post-election political briefs

Trump says he will put a hold on mass deportation

President-elect Donald Trump has doubled down on his statements regarding the mass deportation of immigrants.

Trump told CBS News that mass deportation of undocumented immigrants is currently not a high priority during his first on-air interview since winning the presidential election.

"What we are going to do is get the people that are criminals and have criminal records, gang members, drug dealers," Trump said.

Trump estimates that he will remove two or three million criminals from the U.S. Afterward, he said, he will determine whether to he still wants to deport undocumented immigrants. He referred to immigrants as “terrific people,” during the interview – a stark contrast to his rhetoric during his campaign.

Clinton blames FBI director for loss

Hillary Clinton blamed FBI Director James Comey for her loss in the presidential election during a call with donors on Saturday. "There are lots of reasons why an election like this is not successful," Clinton said. "Our analysis is that Comey's letter raising doubts that were groundless, baseless, proven to be, stopped our momentum."

Clinton said Comey’s second letter to Congress stated that there was no new evidence that would justify prosecution as per President-elect Donald Trump's allegations of a rigged system.

Trump selects two key staff members

Trump announced Sunday that Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus will serve as his White House chief of staff. Trump also named Stephen K. Bannon, his campaign CEO, as his chief strategist.

“I am thrilled to have my very successful team continue with me in leading our country,” Trump said in the statement. “Steve and Reince are highly qualified leaders who worked well together on our campaign and led us to a historic victory. Now I will have them both with me in the White House as we work to make America great again.”

Trump tries to postpone fraud trial

Trump’s attorneys filed a motion on Saturday asking for the trial on Trump University to be moved from Nov. 28 until after the presidential inauguration on Jan. 20.

His attorneys argued that postponement would be important from his transition to presidency, according to CNN.

President Barack Obama and First Lady welcome Trump and Melania to White House

President Barack Obama welcomed Trump to the White House on Thursday. The two were able to put their differences aside and Trump called Obama “a very good man,” according to CNN. The meeting was originally supposed to last for 10 minutes but lasted an hour and a half. Trump said he would seek “counsel” from Obama in the future. Obama told Trump that he wants to help the new president succeed and transition smoothly.

Trump did not allow journalists to cover the meeting, which broke tradition as a President-elect.

While President Obama and Trump sat down, First Lady Michelle Obama and Melania Trump also had a meeting. The first lady and the future first lady had tea and toured the White House. They also discussed raising children in the White House.

News desk can be reached at news@ubsectrum.com