UB football falls to Ohio 34-10

<p>UB football head coach Lance Leipold&nbsp;walks along the sidelines after a loss.</p>

UB football head coach Lance Leipold walks along the sidelines after a loss.

Mistakes were the name of the game Thursday.

The UB football team (2-7, 1-4 Mid-American Conference) outgained the Ohio Bobcats (7-3, 5-1 MAC) on offense but early mistakes cost them and they fell 34-10 at Peden Stadium. Bobcats’ freshman quarterback Quinton Maxwell was the star of the game with 236 passing yards, 50 rushing yards and three total touchdowns. Senior cornerback Boise Ross was beaten on his first play back from injury on a 73-yard touchdown pass from Maxwell to sophomore running back Papi White after the opening kickoff.

“We give up the big play to start the game again,” said Buffalo head coach Lance Leipold. “We throw an interception, have a short field, a fumble on a kick return. And then were inside the five, have to kick a field goal, we elect to kick the field goal… taking point with four seconds to go, I thought was and I still feel is the sound decision and we had leakage and it got blocked.”

Buffalo gave up both turnovers and sophomore kicker Adam Mitcheson missed a field goal in the Bulls’ first four possessions. The Bobcats got off to a 20-0 lead before the Bulls managed their first point of the day. Buffalo scored for the first time when redshirt freshman quarterback Tyree Jackson found senior tight end Mason Schreck down field and Schreck scored a 75 yard touchdown pass in the second quarter.

Jackson had the second 300-yard passing day of his career, finishing with 302 yards and a touchdown. After a mistake filled first half, including a second missed field goal and a 27-10 deficit at halftime, Buffalo’s offense was flat. The Bulls offense punted on every drive in the second half, never gaining more than 26 yards.

“This isn’t a game about just being close,” Leipold said. “You show flashes from time to time and inconsistency in things is unfortunately what a program like where we’re at, at this particular time kind of goes through and I’ve got to find a way to do a better job to get them to make some more of those go our direction.”

The Bulls’ run defense has started to come together in the last two games. After a rough start to the season, allowing 300+ rushing yards five times, Buffalo has held their last two opponents under 160 yards on the ground.

“Pretty much big plays, that’s what hurt us a majority of the first half,” said linebacker Ishmael Hargrove. “We limited them on run gains and things like that but you know just big plays, in the end kind of hurt us, opening drive they were able to score seven. Pretty much we played down from the beginning and we have to do a better job of starting out a lot faster.”

Aside from offensive mistakes, the Bulls defense also struggled against the big plays. Ohio had six plays of over 20 yards in the game. Maxwell finished with more passing yards than any other quarterback against the Bulls this season.

“Credit Ohio man, they’re a good team, they’re a very good team this year and we knew that coming in,” Hargrove said.

Buffalo’s defense played better in the second half, forcing Ohio to punt on all but one of their second half possessions but Buffalo couldn’t capitalize.

The Bulls get a long rest before hosting the Miami (OH) RedHawks (3-6, 3-2 MAC) at UB stadium next Saturday. The RedHawks are on a three game win streak.

Daniel Petruccelli is a sports staff writer and can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com