News briefs 10/24

What you need to know locally, nationally and globally

<p></p>

Campus news

UB to celebrate gender week

UB’s 19th annual Gender Week will be held Oct. 24 to 28 with “Cultural Transformations” as the theme, according to a UB news release. There will be a Welcome Reception by College of Arts and Sciences Dean Robin Schulze on Oct. 24 in 120 Clemens Hall from 6 to 8 p.m.

There will be events all-week long to address a wide range of topics from LGBTQ issues and redefining family and the academic career.

A full calendar of events along with speakers can be found on the Gender Institute’s website.

Drones to fly over all three UB campuses this week

Drones will fly over UB’s North, South and Downtown campuses this week, according to an email Meegan Hunt, associate director of Campus Living, sent to students and faculty on Friday.

The drones will be taking infrared scans of the roofs of every campus building as part of the university’s future plans to replace roofing.

The drones will fly over North Campus on Oct. 24, South Campus on Oct. 25 and Downtown on Oct. 26, weather permitting between 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

FAA-Licensed professionals operating under a certificate of waiver from the FAA for night operations will be operating the drones. The designated takeoff and landing areas will be roped off for safety purposes

UB wins EPA’s Green Power Award

UB received a Green Power Leadership Award from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), on Oct. 17. The EPA presented UB’s award for advancing the voluntary development of green energy at the 2016 Renewable Energy Markets Conference in San Francisco. UB was one of only three organizations recognized for this award. UB’s green power use is equivalent to the electricity use of 19,000 homes annually, according to the EPA. The EPA has also ranked UB No. 1 on a list of top 30 colleges and universities. UB currently uses 213 million kilowatt-hours of green power annually.

UB holds ceremony for faculty and staff excellence

UB held the 13th annual Celebration of Faculty and Staff Excellence on Oct. 20. The ceremony was held in Lippes Concert Hall in Slee Hall. The celebration recognized UB’s most prestigious faculty and staff, who have recently received UB and SUNY-wide awards. Honorees included SUNY Distinguished Professors, UB Distinguished Professors, UB Exceptional Scholars and UB Teaching Innovators, as well as faculty and staff recipients of the SUNY Chancellor’s Awards for Excellence, according to a UB news release. UB Provost Charles Zukoski also discussed initiatives such as Communities of Excellence and UB RENEW at the ceremony.

Locally

Four Buffalo Mexican restaurant raided; 25 arrested

On Tuesday, four popular Mexican restaurants in Buffalo were raided by federal agents who were searching for undocumented workers and criminal suspects, according to The Buffalo News. Twenty-five people were arrested by the end of the day, including the restaurants’ owner Sergio Ramses Mucino.

Mucino appeared Tuesday before the U.S. Magistrate and was released on bail. He was charged with Conspiracy to Harbor Illegal Aliens. Those arrested will face administrative charges and potential deportation.

Patrons, employees of La Divina rallied outside the restaurant on Thursday with labor activists, according to Time Warner Cable News. Buffalo residents also rallied outside of the federal immigration office.

La Divina Mexican Store and Restaurant was the only restaurant raided to reopen this week. It reopened on Friday.

UB law school hosts Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito spoke at Shea’s Performing Art’s Center on Oct. 20. Alito spoke about his family life and discussed the importance of the law and remaining independent from politics as Supreme Court Justice.

Interim Law School Dean James Gardner and Hodgson Russ Chairman Daniel C. Oliverio moderated the conversation with Alito.

Nationally

Chicago Cubs win first National League Championship in 71 years

The Chicago Cubs won their first National League Championship since 1945 on Saturday. They defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-0. They will face off against the Cleveland Indians Game 1 of the World Series on Tuesday. The Cubs lost to the Tigers in 1945, during their last bout of the World Series, according to CNN.

AT&T to acquire Time Warner

AT&T announced Saturday that it is purchasing Time Warner for $84.5 billion, according to CNN. The merger is expected to aid AT&T to expand its services beyond wireless and Internet-based content into television programming. Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes and AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said in a conference call that the two Time Warner and AT&T have been negotiating since August. The merger is expected to be completed by the end of 2017, pending review from government regulators.

Globally

Philipines President clarifies comments about severing ties with U.S.

Many were shocked after Philipines President Rodrigo Duerte announced he would be severing economic and military ties with the U.S. in favor of China, according to CNN. Duerte spoke with business leaders on Oct. 20 in Beijing. "And maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world: China, Philippines and Russia. It's the only way," Duerte said. The following day, Duerte’s office sought to clarify his comments, stating the president was looking to strengthen ties with China but would not be severing any ties with the U.S. U.S. spokesperson John Earnest called Duerte’s comments offensive and confusing. The U.S. Embassy in Manila criticized the remarks for causing unnecessary uncertainty.

Ceasefire ends in Aleppo with mortar attacks

The Russian Defense Military called for a ceasefire in Aleppo, Syria to allow civilians to leave the city. The three day ceasefire came to an end Oct. 22 in the evening, as mortar fire struck an eastern neighborhood of Aleppo, according to CNN. The UK-Based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said it did not believe anyone had left the city through any of the corridors set up for evacuation. Civilians and rebels said they remained in Aleppo out of mistrust for Russia and the Syrian government.