Anchor Bar, home of the original Buffalo chicken wing, to open new location near UB

New restaurant to open in late June less than a mile from North Campus

<p>The building that once housed&nbsp;Honey's will become Anchor Bar's newest location this summer. The restaurant is located right off North Campus on the corner of Maple and&nbsp;Sweet Home Roads.&nbsp;</p>

The building that once housed Honey's will become Anchor Bar's newest location this summer. The restaurant is located right off North Campus on the corner of Maple and Sweet Home Roads. 

Anchor Bar, best known for the original Buffalo chicken wing, is coming a little closer to UB students.

A new location will be opening in late June at the corner of Maple and Sweet Home Roads in Amherst, which was most recently a Honey’s and is less than a mile from North Campus. With seating for 250 people, this will be the largest Anchor Bar location to date.

Mark Dempsey, vice president of Anchor Bar, said that the former Honey’s location is a good place to set up a new restaurant.

“When the location became available, we wanted to look at it and see if it fit our needs, and it did,” Dempsey said.

The location itself is key, as it’s near markets, like UB and the Boulevard Mall that Anchor Bar hopes to tap into.

“The Boulevard Mall has always been a target for us, so we’re happy to be close to it,” Dempsey said. “The university is a great place to be around too – it’s a great school – plus the office buildings across the road from us.”

Business partners Ming Tran, Tom Tran and Jim Kaczmarek will run the new location. They own other businesses locally including a restaurant and a supermarket.

Kaczmarek said in a press release that, as a Buffalonian, the opportunity to serve the original chicken wings was something he and the other partners could not pass up.

“We’re very excited to start this new venture with Anchor Bar,” he said.

Students are excited about the new location as well, since the trip for high-quality wings will now be shorter.

“I think it’s really cool,” said Logan Woodard, a senior history major. “It’ll be exciting to have another famous wing place right off campus. The new location is big enough for them to make a really cool atmosphere.”

This will be the fifth Anchor Bar location in Western New York, with the original restaurant located in downtown Buffalo. The new Amherst location will seat 250 people both indoors and outdoors and feature a private banquet room.

Tori Roseman is the senior features editor and can be reached at tori.roseman@ubspectrum.com.