Multiple UB students have suspected cases of mumps

Student Health Services alerts students as precaution

<p>UB has warned students this weekend that multiple&nbsp;UB students have suspected and probable cases of mumps.&nbsp;</p>

UB has warned students this weekend that multiple UB students have suspected and probable cases of mumps. 

UB has warned the campus this weekend that a number of students have "probable and suspected" cases of mumps. 

Mumps is a contagious viral disease that can be spread by coughing or sneezing and releasing tiny droplets of contaminated saliva. It can also be spread by sharing eating utensils and cups.

It takes 12-25 days before mumps symptoms appear. The most common symptoms are swollen glands under ears, fever, headache, muscle aches, fatigue and lack of appetite.

On Saturday, UB spokesperson John Della Contrada released a statement that the Department of Health is speaking with the students’ close personal contacts and with non-UB students who may have been in close contact with the students. The statement also said that UB is is currently reviewing immunization records to identify students who are not immune to mumps who may need to either be vaccinated or excluded from classes and activities when the semester resumes next week after spring break. Classes resume on March 21.

The affected students live off campus, according to the statement.

Student Health Services warned students via email Friday that even if students have been fully vaccinated, they should minimize contact with others for five days if they are experiencing symptoms. This means students should not attend class, work, sports activities or other gatherings if they have symptoms, the email said.

"At UB, your health and well-being are important to us and we will make every effort to take the steps necessary to protect our campus community," said Susan Snyder, director of Student Health Services, in the email. "The local health department in partnership with UB Student Health Services are currently contacting individuals who may be more directly affected."

Any questions or concerns regarding the mumps should be directed toward Student Health Services at 716-829-3316.

This story has been updated to include new information that multiple students have suspected cases of mumps and UB spokesperson John Della Contrada's statement. 

Gabriela Julia is a managing editor and can be reached at gabriela.julia@ubspectrum.com. Follow her on Twitter at @gabrielaajulia.