Second half dooms UB women’s basketball in loss to Toledo

Bulls allow 43 second-half points, moves to .500 overall record

<p>Sophomore guard Stephanie Reid looks to push the pace against Ball State earlier this season. The Bulls dropped their second consecutive game in a 71-60 loss to Toledo Wednesday.</p>

Sophomore guard Stephanie Reid looks to push the pace against Ball State earlier this season. The Bulls dropped their second consecutive game in a 71-60 loss to Toledo Wednesday.

As the women’s basketball team went into the second half of its matchup against Toledo Wednesday night, it looked as if Buffalo was going to start a winning streak for the first time since Jan. 6-9.

Instead, the Bulls allowed 43 second-half points and began yet another losing streak.

On Wednesday, the Bulls (11-11, 3-8 Mid American Conference) fell to Toledo (13-9, 8-3 MAC) 71-60 at Savage Arena in Toledo, Ohio after a big second half for the Rockets erased an impressive 29-28 halftime lead for Buffalo.

Buffalo does not have a winning record for the first time this season.

“Were going to continue to get better,” said head coach Felisha Legette-Jack. “I feel really good about this group, they are not going to surrender.”

The Bulls had many chances to score throughout the game, but ultimately, it was poor all-around shooting that gave Buffalo the loss. The Bulls only made 22 of their 60 field goal attempts.

More specifically, it was three-point shooting that hurting Buffalo’s shooting percentage. Buffalo shot just 6 of 26 from the perimeter, some of which were uncontested. In comparison, the Rockets connected on seven shots from beyond the arc in 10 less attempts.

Buffalo’s top scorer in the game was again junior guard Joanna Smith. She continued her dominance with 20 points, 15 of which came in the first half. But she did shoot just 6 of 23 from the floor, including 3 of 13 from three.

“Jo had a fat 20 points,” Legette-Jack said. “I mean who does that?”

The Bulls played a very physically defensive game, as they had eight steals and 21 defensive rebounds. The Bulls also played aggressive, as they sent the Rockets to the free throw line numerous times. Toledo hit 18 of its 27 free throws.

The home crowd for Toledo did not make it easy for the Bulls. The home crowd was rude and screaming obscene language throughout the game, according to Legette-Jack.

“The things they said to our players,” Legette-Jack said, “I pray our fans would never say those words.”

The Bulls will head to Bowling Green (8-12, 4-7 MAC) this Saturday to attempt to get their fourth win in Mac play this season and Legette-Jack her 201st career win.

Tipoff is set for 4 p.m.

Edward Goldschmid is a sports staff writer. Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.