​UB Bulls quick hits: Track and Field breaks records at Indoor MAC Championships

<p>A women’s swimmer is competing in the butterfly heat during a match in October of 2015. The women’s swimming and diving team competed in the MAC Championships over the weekend.</p>

A women’s swimmer is competing in the butterfly heat during a match in October of 2015. The women’s swimming and diving team competed in the MAC Championships over the weekend.

Men’s basketball (16-13, 9-7 Mid-American Conference)

The Bulls fell to Ohio (19-9, 10-6 MAC) 103-96 in overtime on Saturday in Athens, Ohio. With the loss, the Bulls fell into third place in the MAC East with two games remaining in the regular season. Junior wing Willie Conner finished with a career-high 28 points, while junior forward Blake Hamilton finished with 22 points, 11 rebounds, three assists and three blocks.

The Bulls will return home to Alumni Arena to face Miami Ohio (11-18, 5-11 MAC) on Tuesday. The Bulls won their previous matchup against Miami Ohio this season, defeating the RedHawks 77-60 on Jan. 19.

Tuesday’s tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

Women’s basketball (15-12, 7-9 MAC)

After pulling off an upset against Ohio (22-5, 14-2 MAC) at Alumni Arena on Feb. 3, the Bulls traveled to Athens, Ohio to complete the sweep.

The Bulls were victorious over the Bobcats 70-58, defeating the top team in the MAC for the second time this season. It was the fourth time in five games that the Bulls have held an opponent to less than 60 points, with the Bulls going 4-1 in that time. The Bulls remain in third place in the MAC East standings with two games remaining in the regular season.

Junior guard Joanna Smith finished with 21 points, including 5 of 10 from three-point range. Sophomore guard Stephanie Reid finished with 21 points, seven rebounds, eight assists and three steals, while sophomore guard Katherine Ups finished with 12 points and went 2 of 2 from three-point range.

Next up for Buffalo is the team right above it in the MAC East standings, Akron (15-12, 9-7 MAC). The two teams will play Wednesday night in Akron, Ohio. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m.

Women’s swimming and diving

The women’s team finished fourth at the MAC Tournament with 454.50 points in a four-day competition over the weekend. Akron won for the third consecutive year with 773.50 total points.

Seniors Megan Burns and Jessica Powers took home gold medals on the final day of competition. Burns won her sixth career conference gold by winning the 100-meter freestyle with a time of 48.67. Powers won her third straight 1,650-meter freestyle event and finished with a season-best time of 16:24.91. Sophomore Hannah Miller also raced in the 1,650-meter event, but finished second.

Powers and Burns were named to the All-MAC First Team, while Miller and sophomore Sarah Baxter were awarded with All-MAC Second Team honors.

Baseball (3-3)

After a winless first weekend, the Bulls finally got on the board in their three-game sweep of Tennessee-Martin.

The Bulls swept the Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks (2-5) over the weekend, scoring more and more as the weekend continued. On Friday, the Bulls won 5-3, getting their first win of the 2016 season. The Bulls got an insurance run in the top of the seventh inning when a throwing error resulted in a score from junior second baseman Brian Dudek. Junior pitcher Alex Tuophy finished with three strikeouts in 5.1 innings pitched.

On Saturday, Buffalo got an 8-5 victory. Senior pitcher Brandon Mumaw finished with six innings pitched and four strikeouts with one home run allowed. Junior third baseman Chris Kwitzer finished with three RBIs and went 3 of 4 at the plate.

On Sunday, the Buffalo offense exploded, plating 15 runs and completing the sweep.

Sophomore pitcher Charlie Sobieraski led the way on the mound for the Bulls. Sobieraski did finish with five earned runs but struck out six and allowed one walk in six innings pitched. Junior outfielder Vinny Mallaro finished 4 of 6 at the plate with a team-high five RBIs. He also hit for the cycle. Freshman first baseman Andrew Taft went 3 of 6 and finished with three RBIs.

The Bulls will travel to Lexington, Kentucky to face Kentucky (3-2) for a three-game series from March 4-6.

First pitch on Friday is set for 4 p.m.

Track and field

The Bulls completed a two-day event at the MAC Championships and broke some records in the process.

On Friday, the Buffalo Distance Medley Relay (DMR) team of Brian Crimmins, Craig Kaiser, Treyvon Mask and Tyler Scheving broke the school record for distance-meter running, finishing with a 9:47.77 for the event. The Bulls placed second overall in the event.

Junior thrower Megan Patterson threw a season-best 18.10-meters to finish third in the event. Junior distance runner Amy Shaw finished in third place in the 5,000-meter with a time of 16:32.70.

On Saturday, the Bulls won three gold medals and rewrote the Buffalo record books.

Senior women’s sprinter Malayah White broke the school record for 60-meter dash with a time of 7.45. She claimed gold in the event.

Senior men’s sprinter Darien Johnson also finished in first in the 60-meter event, finishing with a time of 6.74. It was the first time Buffalo has won the 60-meter dash event.

Patterson continued her strong event, winning a bronze medal in the shot put with a 15.50-meter throw. It was her second bronze medal of the competition. Crimmins finished in second place, earning a silver medal in the mile race. Crimmins recorded a time of 4:08.54. Senior Tyler Scheving finished in third place of the 800-meter run with a time of 1:49.82.

Softball (3-6)

The Bulls went 2-2 for the week, starting slow with two losses on Friday before picking up two victories on Saturday.

On Friday, the Bulls dropped both of their games – a 3-1 loss to Quinnipiac (5-4) and an 8-7 loss to Hampton (4-4). The Bobcats got off to an early 3-0 lead in the second inning, proving to be insurmountable for the Bulls. Against Hampton, the Bulls were on the verge of victory, when the Pirates scored five runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to claim the victory. Freshman pitcher Ally Power gave up three earned runs, five in total, and eight hits in 6.2 innings pitched.

On Saturday, Buffalo won their second game of the season by snagging a 13-5 victory over Rhode Island (3-5) in five innings. The Bulls scored four runs in the first inning, two in the second and five runs in the third. Junior utility player Savanna Norcio finished 2 of 3 at the plate and recorded four RBIs and four runs at the dish. Freshman pitcher Lace Smith finished with five earned runs and one strikeout in four innings.

The Bulls closed the weekend with a 3-2 victory over Princeton (2-6) in 10 innings. The Bulls got the game-winning run when sophomore infielder Nicolette Jacobs came in as a pinch hitter and singled to centerfield to drive in the winning run. Freshman starting pitcher Brieanna Baker pitched all 10 innings and gave up with one earned run while striking out 11 in the victory.

The Bulls travel to Fayetteville, Arkansas to compete in the Arkansas Tournament next weekend, beginning with a matchup against Wright State (7-6) on Friday.

First pitch is set for 11 a.m.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com