Down and dirty

An intense home workout for those who don’t want to leave their bedrooms

The motivation to work out isn’t always the biggest obstacle – sometimes the trip to the gym is the hassle. Walking to Alumni Arena is half the workout in itself and with the brutal winter slowly approaching, you start to wonder if it’s worth it.

But it’s possible to get plump butt cheeks and a tight waist without stepping one foot out your door. Get your workout playlist poppin’ and grab a yoga matt for an intense home workout that’ll leave you feeling sweaty and satisfied.

Strength – sets of 20, as many reps as you can handle

Waiting around for machines at the gym can be time consuming and unproductive. Here are some strength workouts that’ll leave you toned and tight with enough reps.

Push-ups

We all learned how to do a push-up before we could walk. Lay with your body straight on the floor and push your body up with your arms while keeping your back and legs straight.

Russian twists

Get your lower stomach burning by sitting on your butt with your legs crossed and raised slightly in the air. Tilt your upper body back and twist your waist by moving your arms from side to side.

Squats

Nothing gets those buns warmer than doing squats. Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart. Lower your butt like you’re going to sit in a chair. Keep your thighs parallel to the floor and your upper body slightly leaned forward. Stand straight up and repeat.

Quadraplex

Get on all fours. Lift one leg back while keeping your knee bent at a 90-degree angle. Extend your opposite arm out in front of you at the same time. Lower your leg and arm and repeat with the opposites.

Plank

Lay with your stomach on the floor and your legs straight. Lift your body up from the floor with your forearms. Keep your back, butt and legs parallel to the floor. Hold your pose for 30 seconds and repeat.

Cardio - 30 seconds each and repeat

Most people have a fear of treadmills and outdoor trails because the thought of finishing a mile straight through seems impossible. Here are some alternative cardio workouts to get your heart rate rising.

Burpees

Burpees can be fun and challenging, but definitely an efficient full-body workout. Start by lying on your stomach and then do a push-up. As you move back up, pull your knees up to your chest and jump up with your arms straight up into the air. Drop back down to the floor, get into the push-up position and repeat.

Switch kicks

Sit on your butt and bend your knees with your hands behind you and elbows bent. Extend your elbows and lift your butt off the ground. Kick one leg up at a 45-degree angle, lower it and kick the other leg.

Lunge jumps

Stand with your hands on your waist and one leg bent in front of you at a 90-degree angle. Keep your other leg bent behind you with your knee close to – but not touching – the ground. Jump up and switch positions of your legs.

High knees

High knees are simple but after a few reps you’ll be reaching for your water. Hold your arms out straight in front of your with your palms facing down. Bring each knee up to your hands while keeping your upper body straight.

Mountain climbers

Put both hands and feet on the floor with your butt in the air. Pull one leg up to your chest with the other straight back. Bring your back leg up your chest and drop your front leg back. Repeat until your legs and arms feel like noodles.

Gabriela Julia is the senior news editor and can be reached at gabriela.julia@ubspectrum.com. Follow her on Twitter at @GabrielaaJulia.