Makeup mojo

Girls vary the amount of makeup they put on based upon preference

<p>Students at UB vary their makeup choices depending on the event or the amount of time they have to get ready.</p>

Students at UB vary their makeup choices depending on the event or the amount of time they have to get ready.

Makeup artistry has been a growing trend over the last couple of years. Simple eyeliner and mascara won’t do anymore and thousands of girls are showing off their skills on Instagram and YouTube. Contouring, shading and brow filling are new forms that have taken over this generation.

Not everyone is in on the trend, though, and girls throughout UB vary in what kind of makeup they wear on the daily.

“I’ll put on eyeliner every morning, maybe some lipstick,” said Arti Gupta, a graduate student in computer science. “I won’t leave home without anything on. I just really enjoy doing it, so I do it every morning.”

Gupta’s routine is pretty much the same, no matter the occasion. Since she enjoys putting on her makeup in the morning, she makes time in her schedule to do it.

Makeup art used to be strictly for Hollywood, for changing the age of an actor or turning a human into a beast. Now the art has been scaled down and many are looking to find jobs within spas, bridal boutiques and local specialist jobs.

There are many schools that teach students the art of cosmetology or the study and application of beauty treatment.

Not everyone includes makeup into their morning routine, choosing instead to value sleep or extra time to get ready for school. Some, like Madeline Warmus, barely have time to even consider their application in the morning.

“I’ll wear mascara, sometimes even eyeliner if I’m really feelin’ it, said Warmus, a sophomore communication major. “Most of the time it’s getting done in my car on the way here.”

Makeup can encompass a variety of artistry – eye makeup, eyeshadow, liner and mascara. It could be face makeup – from primer to concealer (perfect for pimple-hiding) and the fancy shades of contouring – lipstick or filling in eyebrows. The applicant must decide how much or how little to put on, which colors to match together and how to make it look appealing.

Others, who have less experience, don’t bother to experiment with the newfound art form, choosing instead to avoid it altogether.

“I don’t wear any makeup,” said Manasi Yerunkar, a graduate student in computer science. “I don’t really know how to do it and I just don’t have time for it in the morning.”

But learning has become easier through the Internet. If there’s something you want to perfect, it’s as simple as watching a tutorial on YouTube from one of the many makeup channels, or any other video website. If you don’t need the visual aspect, makeup tips are easy to find on Google.

Finding the right products has become easier as well – big companies like MAC and Sephora offer a wide variety of not only different shades and textures of makeup, but an array of makeup tools including brushes, sponges and blotting paper. They sell these products both online and in stores for easy accessibility.

Haley Mccrossan, a sophomore communication major, found that it’s easy to look online if you’re unsure about what you’re doing.

“I’ll wear mascara, maybe some light powder and I fill in my eyebrows so that they look good,” Mccrossan said. “I learned how to do it on YouTube, it’s pretty easy.”

Whether or not you’re a makeup guru, it can be easy to learn. Better yet, you can put on as much or as little as you’re comfortable with. Either way, it’s about what will suit you best.

Tori Roseman is the senior features editor and can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com.