UB men’s soccer ties Niagara 2-2, winless streak moves to six games

After strong first half, Bulls allow two goals in second

<p>Sophomore goalkeeper Joseph Kuta blocks a Niagara penalty kick to help the Bulls win the penalty shootout after a 2-2 draw in double overtime. </p>

Sophomore goalkeeper Joseph Kuta blocks a Niagara penalty kick to help the Bulls win the penalty shootout after a 2-2 draw in double overtime. 

The men’s soccer team seemed confident entering the second half of Sunday’s game against Niagara. Leading 2-0 with one of its goals coming in the first five minutes of the match, Buffalo looked to be in position to earn its first victory in close to a month.

But the Bulls (3-4-2) couldn’t get it done. They settled for a tie with Niagara (1-6-1), 2-2, in double overtime at UB Stadium. The Bulls allowed two goals in the second half and both teams failed to score a goal in either overtime period. Buffalo did defeat Niagara in penalty kicks after the match.

With the tie, the Bulls’ winless streak goes up to six games. In that time period, Buffalo has finished with two ties and four losses after beginning the season 3-0.

Buffalo seemed confident in the game as it controlled possession at the start and got two first half goals and had opportunities for more. In the 17th minute, senior forward Marcus Hanson had a chance to score, but couldn’t put it in, as he hit the top of the bar. Hanson failed to put it in the back of the net after watching juniors Braden Scales and Russell Cicerone score for Buffalo.

For Cicerone, it was his second goal in as many games. When the Bulls needed to create offense, whether a goal or just simple movement on the pitch, Cicerone was their man. And it almost proved true again as he almost won the game for Buffalo in the 89th minute, but missed a shot wide right that would have given the Bulls the lead.

In the second half and overtimes periods, Niagara outshot Buffalo 12-2. The two Buffalo shots came after an eight-shot performance in the first half.

Niagara came out stronger and in the 52nd minute, scored a goal that beat Buffalo goalkeeper Joseph Kuta and went in right under the crossbar. And in the 86th minute, the Purple Eagles' Bautista Pedezert grabbed a goal on a shot that went in through the left corner.

Kuta replaced sophomore goalkeeper Cameron Hogg, who was in net for the Bulls on Friday in a 2-1 loss to Lafayette (3-1-3). Kuta finished with three saves Sunday on five shots on goal for the Bulls.

Buffalo travels away to play against Stony Brook (2-4-1) on Thursday. The match is set for 7 p.m.

Romulo Romero is a sports staff writer. The sports desk can be reached asports@ubspectrum.com.