Sunday, April 28, 2024

The grapevine

Your weekly installation of Buffalo’s best concerts

This week, Buffalo has an odd assortment of bands coming to the Queen City. From legendary ’90s rap groups to small, indie-rock duos from Tel Aviv, the concert choices are endless. Whether you want a gritty hip-hop concert or a huge festival-style show, you have plenty to choose from.

Wednesday, September 9

Dirty Heads – Rapids Theatre

The Dirty Heads is a hip-hop, reggae-fusion band from Huntington Beach, California. It was founded in 1996 after the two founding members, Jared Watson and Dustin Bushnell – nicknamed Dirty J and Duddy B – met in high school. The band says the name is a reference to those high school days when everyone just thought they were burnouts and would never make it in the music industry. Come join these slacker rappers as they turn up Rapids Theatre on Sept 9.

Thursday, September 10

Hank & Cupcakes – Nietzsche’s

This electropop, husband-and-wife combo hails from Brooklyn. The band was originally founded in Tel Aviv, Israel where Sagit “Cupcakes” Shir and Ariel “Hank” Scherbacovsky met in their teens; both were members of the Israeli Army band. The two stayed with each other after the army, playing music and traveling the world. Now New York City locals, “Hank” and “Cupcakes” are trying to make it big. The duo’s music is rich and loud, often so loud it will surprise the audience.

Friday, September 11

Bone Thugs-n-Harmony – Rapids Theatre

Bone Thugs got its big break when Eazy-E, of N.W.A., signed the group to Ruthless Records in 1993. Since then, Bone Thugs has been nominated for three Grammy Awards, winning “Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group” in 1997. Come out to see this famous ’90s rap group, who will exhibit the true “O.G.” gangster rap.

Saturday, September 12

Edgefest 2015 – Buffalo Outer Harbor

Edgefest is a festival sponsored by 103.3 The Edge, one of Buffalo’s premier rock radio stations. Held at the Outer Harbor, Edgefest is bringing in some of rock and alt-rock’s biggest names. Modest Mouse, Rise Against, The Sheepdogs and July Talk will all be featured in the festival, and it’s not often you can see four or five bands for the price of a single ticket. UB’s Fall Fest is on the same day so if you don’t want to attend or if you don’t like rap, check out Edgefest.

Fall Fest 2015 – University of Buffalo

The bi-annual festival hosted by UB’s Student Association will be a primarily hip-hop and R&B concert. Big Sean, Jeremih, Isaiah Rashad and Tink will be coming to UB to perform and the concert is free for UB students who pay the $104.75 mandatory student activity fee. Come out and party with your fellow students for one of UB’s biggest college events of the year.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com