Quick look: UB Bulls rout Albany for first win of Leipold era

<p>Senior wide receiver Marcus McGill (7) catches the Bulls' first touchdown of the game and season on a 9-yard pass from senior quarterback Joe Licata. </p>

Senior wide receiver Marcus McGill (7) catches the Bulls' first touchdown of the game and season on a 9-yard pass from senior quarterback Joe Licata. 

The football team (1-0) defeated Albany (0-1) 51-14 Saturday at UB Stadium for the first win under head coach Lance Leipold.

The Great Danes, a team from the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), scored the opening touchdown on an 82-yard drive, but the Bulls rattled of 38 straight points to put the game away.

Senior quarterback Joe Licata was out of the game less than halfway through the third quarter as Buffalo led by 31. He finished 20-of-26 passing for 246 and two touchdowns. Senior running back Anthone Taylor had his tenth career 100-yard rushing game with 104 yards on the ground and two touchdowns. Junior running back Jordan Johnson chipped in 69 yards and a touchdown as well.

Buffalo’s defense held Albany to just 269 yards of total offense and picked off Great Danes quarterback D.J. Crook twice – matching the team’s interception total from all of last season.

A scary moment occurred toward the end of the first quarter when freshman safety Jordan Collier went down on the turf with what appeared to be a neck injury on a kickoff return. He had to be loaded onto stretcher and UB Athletics said Collier was taken to the hospital for precautionary reasons and he was moving all extremities.

The Bulls play Penn State (0-1) in State College, PA next Saturday. Kickoff is set for noon.

Tom Dinki is the editor in chief and can be reached at tom.dinki@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @tomdinki