Quick hits: UB Bulls tennis, baseball and softball

Men and women’s tennis qualify for postseason, baseball and softball continue slump

<p>Senior Laura Fernandez and the women’s tennis team clinched a spot in the MAC Tournament after defeating Northern Illinois over the weekend. The team will play its first game on Friday and the team has yet to be determined.</p>

Senior Laura Fernandez and the women’s tennis team clinched a spot in the MAC Tournament after defeating Northern Illinois over the weekend. The team will play its first game on Friday and the team has yet to be determined.

Baseball (11-21, 5-10 Mid-American Conference)

The Bulls played four games this week, splitting two against three opponents. On Tuesday, the Bulls defeated St. Bonaventure (13-14-2, 2-10 Atlantic 10) 9-8. Buffalo scored five runs in the bottom of the seventh inning and held on after the Bonnies scored two runs in the top of the eighth. Sophomore outfielder Vinny Mallaro went 2-for-4 with three RBIs.

On Wednesday, the Bulls held their first home game of the season, falling 7-5 to Canisius (18-22, 8-4 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference). Canisius had a five-run seventh inning to take the lead and held on for the victory. Sophomore infielder Brian Dudek finished with two hits and three RBI for the game.

In a three-game series against Central Michigan (26-13, 11-3 MAC) this weekend, the Bulls went 1-2, defeating Central Michigan in the series opener 11-7. Buffalo had 18 hits and seven of its nine players in the lineup had at least two hits. In the Saturday game, the Bulls fell 7-2. After an 18-hit game, the Bulls had just six hits and committed three errors.

In the final game of the series, the Bulls lost to Central Michigan 6-1. The Bulls had just three hits and scored only on a Central Michigan error in the bottom of the third.

The next game for the Bulls is Tuesday against Canisius. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.

Softball (9-33, 1-11 MAC)

The Bulls stopped a 13-game losing streak this week. But they’re still just 2-17 in their last 19 games.

Buffalo split a two-game series against Canisius (19-14, 8-2 MAAC), dropping the series opener 10-3 before ending its losing streak with a 4-1 victory. In the win, sophomore pitcher Bobbi Langlois went all seven innings, allowing five hits and one earned run while striking out four Canisius batters.

In a trip to Michigan, the Bulls finished 1-4. Their first loss was a 6-4 affair at the hands of Detroit (5-37, 1-11 Horizon League). Buffalo scored three runs in the top of the sixth inning but it wasn’t enough. Senior pitcher Hayley Barrow pitched six innings, allowing six hits, six runs, one earned run and eight walks in defeat.

Then, the Bulls were swept in a two-game series against Eastern Michigan (13-25, 4-7 MAC) and split the series against Central Michigan (18-17 6-4 MAC). Eastern Michigan defeated Buffalo 15-7 in five innings and 5-2 on Friday. On Saturday against Central Michigan, the Bulls lost the first game 5-3, before winning the final game of the series 4-2. In victory, Langlois pitched six innings and allowed four hits.

The Bulls will travel to Toledo, Ohio to face Toledo (19-26, 4-10 MAC) in a two-game series. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. on Friday, April 24.

Men’s tennis (10-9, 2-2 MAC)

Buffalo secured a MAC Tournament birth after defeating Ball State (12-10, 2-2 MAC) this weekend. The Bulls defeated the Cardinals 4-3 on Friday and fell to Northern Illinois (17-5, 3-1 MAC) 5-2 on Sunday. In the game against Ball State, the Bulls won all three of their doubles matches before splitting the singles matches with the Cardinals at three apiece.

Sophomore Jonathan Hannestad and junior Amir Hromic were the only two that won both their doubles and singles matches.

The next game for Buffalo is on Friday against Northern Illinois in the MAC Tournament Semifinals. First set starts at 11 a.m.

Women’s tennis (7-10, 3-4 MAC)

The Bulls clinched a spot in the MAC Tournament in the regular season finale. Buffalo needed a victory to get into the tournament and did so with a win over Northern Illinois (11-9, 2-6 MAC) 4-3.

The Bulls won all three of their doubles matchups before splitting the singles matches with Northern Illinois at three apiece. Sophomores Laura Holterbosch and Margarita Kotok were the only two to win in both singles and doubles competition.

The next matchup for the team is in the MAC Tournament Friday against a yet to be determined opponent.

email: sports@ubspectrum.com