"Quick Hits: Softball begins season, men's basketball loses tight conference matchup"

Junior guard Mackenzie Loesing and the women’s basketball team
defeated Bowling Green 66-45 on Saturday in this week’s quick hits. 
Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
Junior guard Mackenzie Loesing and the women’s basketball team defeated Bowling Green 66-45 on Saturday in this week’s quick hits.  Yusong Shi, The Spectrum

Men’s Basketball (15-7, 6-4 Mid-American Conference)

The men’s basketball team lost to Akron (16-7, 7-3 MAC) on Saturday night at the James A. Rhodes Arena in Akron, Ohio.

Senior forward Xavier Ford finished with 22 points on 9 of 17 shooting from the field and a team-leading 10 rebounds. Junior forward Justin Moss was close behind with 21 points and 6 rebounds.

Freshman guard Lamonte Bearden led the Bulls with five assists, scoring 11 points of his own. Shannon Evans had a similar performance with 13 points and four assists by the end of the night.

The Bulls shot a paltry 23 percent from beyond the arc. Junior guard Jarryn Skeete was the only player to connect on a 3-pointer. The Bulls also brought the ball up with 11 turnovers.

The Bulls will look to redeem themselves on Tuesday night against Toledo in Alumni Arena. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Softball (1-3)

The softball team opened their season losing three out of its first four games. The Bulls lost the season opener 8-0 to Western Kentucky, but defeated Alabama State, 11-8, on Friday at the Troy Chick-Fil-A Invite in Troy, Alabama.

The Bulls struggled offensively in their first game. The team managed two hits in the ball game, both of which from senior infielder Alexis Curtiss. Sophomore pitcher Bobbi Langlios pitched a complete game, giving up eight earned runs off of 12 hits with three strikeouts.

The Bulls were trailing Alabama State 3-0 in the second game until the third inning, where the Bulls tied it up 3-3 from a 2-RBI single from senior pitcher/infielder Hayley Barrow, followed up with another RBI single by freshman infielder Sarah Edwards.

The Bulls had the game until Alabama State rallied to score seven runs in the final inning, sending the game into extra-innings. Buffalo outscored Alabama State 4-1 in the extra inning to end the game 11-8.

Women’s Basketball (13-8, 6-4 MAC)

The Bulls won 66-45 against Bowling Green (9-13, 2-9 MAC) on Saturday afternoon in Alumni Arena. The Bulls’ biggest lead was by 29 points, their largest lead of any game this season.

Senior forward Kristen Sharkey led the scoring and assists with 18 points and five assists – her career-high. Sophomore forward Alexus Malone led the team with eight rebounds.

The Bulls’ next game is on the road against Akron (17-5, 7-4 MAC) on Wednesday in Akron, Ohio.

Wrestling (5-11, 0-6 MAC)

The Bulls fell to No. 2 Missouri 43-6 on Friday at Alumni Arena. Senior Max Soria took on Alan Walters – the No. 2 grappler in the country in the 125-pound weight class. Soria took him down in the third period, but eventually lost the match 8-2. Freshman Sean Peacock was the only Bull to score points. He was awarded a forfeit win for his fifth consecutive victory. The wrestling team will play their next match on Friday, Feb. 13, as they take on Binghamton (6-9, 4-3 Big Sky) at Alumni Arena.

Men’s Tennis (5-3)

The men’s tennis team defeated Cleveland State (3-1) 4-3 on Saturday in Westlake, Ohio to hand the Vikings their first loss of the season. Junior Akhil Mehta and freshman Noah Hajdu-Andersson edged out a 7-6 doubles victory to clinch the doubles points for the Bulls.

Sophomore Jonathan Hannestad, senior Sebastian Ionescu and junior Sergio Arevalillo picked up singles wins as well.

The Bulls will not play again until Feb. 20, when they take on Niagara (1-1), followed by Youngstown State (2-3) on Feb. 21. Both matches will be played at the Miller Tennis Center in Buffalo, New York.

Women’s Tennis (1-2)

The women’s tennis team was defeated by West Virginia (2-1) 5-2 on Friday at the Miller Tennis Center in Buffalo, NY. Sophomore Margarita Kotok and freshman Tanja Stojanovska picked up singles victories for the Bulls, but the team dropped the next four singles matches.

The Bulls will host ASA (1-0) and Youngstown State (5-3) on Feb. 20-21 at the Miller Tennis Center.