The grapevine

The weekly breakdown of Buffalo's local music calendar

Although it’s no Madison Square Garden, Buffalo is a hotspot for big and small bands. Everyday, multiple shows are held at local venues all over the city such as Town Ballroom, Waiting Room, Mohawk Place and Buffalo Iron Works. Perhaps, because of UB’s relative distance from downtown, these concerts go under the radar of many students, but not anymore. Here’s a list of this week’s concerts around the Buffalo area.

Wednesday, Jan. 28

Datsik, Barely Alive and Kennedy Jones – Town Ballroom

On his Ninja Nation Tour, Datsik has recruited fellow electro and trap artists Barely Alive and Kennedy Jones for his concert in Buffalo. The night should be a loud, bass-filled affair, because of the intimacy of the small Town Ballroom venue mixed with the intensity of the sound. The show will be great for any lovers of trap and house music.

Thursday, Jan. 29

The Proles and Wolf – Buffalo Iron Works

The Proles, a band consisting of mostly UB students, will be playing their own brand of blues and hard rock downtown this Thursday at Buffalo Iron Works along with Wolf. Wolf, the stage name of Buffalo native Chelsea O’Donnell, has formed her own band. The new artist will be accompanying The Proles in an effort to start playing larger shows. The concert will be a fun, casual way to enjoy two bands starting to make a splash in the Buffalo music scene.

Friday, Jan. 30

Palisades – Waiting Room

Palisades is an experimental mix of hardcore, punk rock and EDM. They have risen from their previous title, Marilyn is Dead, to create an explosive sound. On Friday, they will be playing at the Waiting Room. The band’s live show will be a heavy set, with screaming guitars and vocals, perfect to melt some faces and get adrenaline pumping.

Michelle Wright – Seneca Niagara Casino & Hotel

One of the most successful Canadian country singers, Michelle Wright is bringing her acoustics to Buffalo. She will be performing at the Seneca Niagara Casino & Hotel Friday night. The concert will be a throwback to the ’90s, when Wright found her fame. It’s an opportunity to spend the day at the casino and experience Canadian country music, despite an older crowd.

Saturday, Jan. 31

Fleetwood Mac – First Niagara Center

Fleetwood Mac needs no introduction. The famous British-American classic rock band is coming to Buffalo. The band has a host of unforgettable songs, but is best known for those on Rumours, their 11th album, like “Dreams” and “The Chain.” The concert will definitely be sold out, but you may get lucky and score a pair on StubHub. The concert at First Niagara Center will be a stadium performance with thousands of fans singing along to every song.