Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Women's basketball falls to LIU Brooklyn 79-73

Buffalo drops third game of the season

Junior guard Mackenzie Loesing goes for a layup in Buffalo's 73-64 victory over
Niagara on Nov. 22. Loesing had 17 points in the Bulls' 79-73 loss to LIU Brooklyn 
Sunday. 
Junior guard Mackenzie Loesing goes for a layup in Buffalo's 73-64 victory over Niagara on Nov. 22. Loesing had 17 points in the Bulls' 79-73 loss to LIU Brooklyn  Sunday. 

The women’s basketball team was better than LIU Brooklyn (3-6) by most statistical measures on Sunday. It had more field goal attempts, a higher field goal percentage and more assists than the Blackbirds.

But the Bulls (6-4) turned the ball over 34 times, which the Blackbirds turned into 32 points and a 79-73 win over Buffalo in New York City.

The loss puts the Bulls at 1-1 on their current three-game road trip and also snapped a four-game winning streak – tied for the longest since head coach Felisha Legette-Jack was hired in 2012.

Turnovers were not the Bulls’ only problem. The Blackbirds led for more than half the game and held the Bulls to 27.3 percent shooting from three-point range.

Sophomore guard Camera Miley and junior guard Mackenzie Loesing finished with a combined 12 turnovers, while sophomore forward Alexus Malone had eight.

The Bulls had four players finish with double-digit point totals, including Loesing (17), Miley (16) and senior forward Kristen Sharkey (12). Loesing also added five rebounds, Miley, a Brooklyn native, had five rebounds, and three assists, while Sharkey added eight rebounds, and three blocks.

The team returns to Buffalo but will play one more road game at Canisius (4-6, 2-0 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) on Dec. 29 before starting Mid-American Conference play. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

email:sports@ubspectrum.com