Quick hits: Women's soccer falls in NCAA Tournament; Volleyball clinches final MAC tournament spot

Freshman libero Niki Bozinoski and the
volleyball team clinched the final MAC Tournament
spot this weekend after two wins over Akron and Toledo.
Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
Freshman libero Niki Bozinoski and the volleyball team clinched the final MAC Tournament spot this weekend after two wins over Akron and Toledo. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum

Women’s soccer (16-3-3, 12-0-2 Mid-American Conference)

Buffalo’s historic season ended Friday night in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The No. 2 seed Penn State (18-3, 12-1 Big Ten Conference) defeated the No. 15 seed Bulls, 4-1, Friday. The Nittany Lions scored an early first half goal and then two goals within two minutes of each other early in the second half for a 3-0 lead. Senior forward Katie Roberts scored her 12th goal of the season with about 10 minutes remaining off of a penalty kick, but Penn State responded about five minutes later to take a 4-1 lead.

The Bulls won their most overall and conference games all-time this season en route to the first MAC Championship is program history.

Volleyball (16-14, 6-10 MAC)

Buffalo qualified for the MAC Tournament for the first time since the format was switched to the top-8 conference teams in 2011. The Bulls secured the final tournament spot after a Thursday sweep against Akron (8-23, 2-14 MAC) in Alumni Arena and defeating Toledo (1-28, 0-16) on the road.

The Bulls defeated Akron in straight sets Thursday before beating the Rockets, 3-2, Saturday. Buffalo faces No. 5 seed Western Michigan (18-13, 9-7 MAC) Friday in Athens, Ohio for the first round of the tournament. The match is set for Friday at 5:30 p.m.

Men’s soccer (5-10-2, 1-2-2 MAC)

Sophomore midfielder Russell Cicerone was named First Team All-MAC for the second consecutive season Thursday. Cicerone also won MAC Freshman of the Year last season. He finished fourth in the conference in both goals (10) and points (23) this season – a season in which the Bulls failed to make the MAC Tournament.

Women’s basketball (0-1)

The Bulls fell 58-50 to Sienna (1-0) Friday night in their season opener. Sienna ended the game on a 15-0 run over the final five minutes of the contest. Buffalo shot just 7 of 29 from beyond on the arc and committed 23 turnovers. The Bulls travel to face St. Francis Tuesday at 7 p.m.