Quick Hits: Volleyball season ends in MAC Tournament; Roberts nominated for national award

image54e4bfc714cd6

Volleyball (16-15, 6-11 Mid-American Conference)

The eighth seeded Bulls fell in the first round of the MAC Tournament with a loss to fifth-seeded Western Michigan in straight sets Friday. It was the Bulls’ first MAC Tournament appearance since 2010.

Junior setter Marissa Prinzbach led Buffalo with 19 assists and freshman outside hitter Cassie Shado led the team with nine kills and 18 total attacks. Junior outside hitter Tahleia Bishop did not play in the game. Head coach Reed Sunahara said the he made the decision to sit Bishop and would not disclose why.

Shado and Bishop were named to the All-MAC Freshman team and All-MAC First team, respectively, Thursday.

The Bulls will finish their season Saturday, Nov. 29 when they host Albany (10-16, 7-5 American East). The match is set for 2 p.m.

Women’s Basketball (2-1)

The Bulls put up 46 points in the second half to defeat Niagara (0-3), 73-64, Saturday in Alumni Arena.

After trailing by nine at halftime, the Bulls went on a 19-4 run in the first 7:11 of the second half to pull away with a lead they would not relinquish. Junior guard Mackenzie Loesing led the team with 18 points and sophomore forward Alexus Malone had a career-best17 rebounds.

Buffalo travels to Durham, North Carolina to take on No. 7 Duke (2-0) Tuesday. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.

Men’s Basketball (2-1)

The Bulls defeated Texas-Arlington (1-1), 74-68, last Tuesday at the College Park Center in Arlington, Texas. Sophomore guard Shannon Evans led the team with 24 points and senior forward Will Regan had with 15 points and six rebounds after not making a field goal in Buffalo’s first two games of the season.

The team was scheduled play Montana State (0-3) Friday, but the game was canceled due to last week’s snowstorm. The Bobcats were unable to travel and a rescheduled date has not been announced.

The Bulls travel to Phoenix, Arizona to play Grand Canyon (2-2) Tuesday. The game is set for 9 p.m.

Women’s Soccer (16-3-3, 12-0-3 MAC)

Senior forward Katie Roberts is one of 30 finalists for the College Boot – the National women’s soccer Player of the Year award. She was named MAC Offensive Player of the Year earlier this month.

Roberts led Buffalo and the MAC with 12 goals and 27 points en route to the Bulls’ first-ever MAC Tournament Championship.

Online fan voting will is open from Nov. 15 to Dec. 15 and will make up 40 percent of the total selection process. The Soccer Net News editorial staff will make up the other 60 percent.

Wrestling (3-1)

Buffalo finished fourth out of 27 teams in the New York State Collegiate Championships in Cornell, New York on Sunday. Senior Max Soria won the 125-pound title - his second light weight title of the season - and is now 11-0 on the season.

The Bulls compete in the Northeast Duals Saturday in Albany, New York.

email: sports@ubspectrum.com