Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Buffalo advances to MAC Championship following double overtime victory

Niper nets game-winner in double overtime

The Bulls celebrate their first trip to the MAC championship game in program history. 
Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
The Bulls celebrate their first trip to the MAC championship game in program history.  Yusong Shi, The Spectrum

Despite the Buffalo’s women’s soccer team seemingly dominating the pace and control of the game, the Bulls found themselves two minutes away from a penalty kick situation and extreme uncertainty.

Andrea Niper ended those concerns with one kick in the 108th.

The sophomore midfielder let off a shot 30 yards out that found the top left corner of the Ball State net, sending the No. 49 Bulls (15-2-3, 11-0-2 MAC) to their first MAC Championship game in program history.

Her teammates mobbed her on the field to celebrate the Bulls’ championship opportunity. It was Niper’s second career goal – and second goal of the MAC tournament. She scored her first career goal Sunday in Buffalo’s 2-0 quarterfinal win against Toledo.

“It’s great to get those numbers on the books and on the score sheet and stuff like that, but it’s so much more than that,” Niper said. “Being able to score the goal and get my team to the MAC championship, it’s much more than just a goal for me, it’s for my team.”

It was Buffalo’s second overtime matchup with Ball State in the past two weeks. Senior forward Katie Roberts scored the game-winning goal in the 92nd minute Oct. 24.

This finish took a little longer as Buffalo didn’t score until the 108th minute this time.

“This team continues to find ways,” said head coach Shawn Burke. “Overtime game, or whether it’s somebody new coming up big for us. What a huge goal by Niper, and I’m very proud of our girls. They didn’t give up and continued to fight.”

Niper scored on a hard shot from the right side of the field, putting her only shot on goal of the night into the back of the net. The Bulls finished with 18 total shots, compared to Ball State’s 12.

After a scoreless first half, the Bulls got their first goal of the game off a header from reigning MAC Defensive Player of the Year Jackie Hall less than three minutes into the second half. It was the junior defender’s third goal of the season.

“I had a weird feeling about the play,” Hall said. “No one was marking me at the line so I just had a feeling for it and I followed the ball. I headed it and I realized that I had to give it all that I had, so I just dove and made the second play.”

Hall made several key stops in the overtime that ended Ball State scoring threats.

As a junior, Hall was a member of the 2012 and 2013 Buffalo teams that failed to qualify for the MAC tournament. This season was Buffalo’s first-ever undefeated season in the MAC and the team received its highest-ever national ranking. With Friday’s win, the Bulls also broke the program record for most wins in a season.

“It feels honestly incredible,” Hall said. “We put so much practice and effort into it and we feel like this success was so deserved. It feels great to be honored and to create history for the University at Buffalo and the woman’s soccer program.”

The Bulls’ lead was short lived, however, as Ball State forward Elaina Musleh scored off a rebound exactly 12 minutes later to tie the game at one.

Freshman goalkeeper Laura Dougall stopped four of Ball State’s five shots on goal. Her lone allowed goal came as she collided with a Cardinals player as the ball came down, allowing a rebound and score for Ball State.

“You have to give Ball State a ton of credit,” Burke said. “The girls from Ball State were absolutely tremendous. I thought our best performance came in overtime because I thought they played a bit better than us in regulation, but our girls fought hard and got the win.”

Sophomore forward Celina Carrero seemed to score a go-ahead goal with a little more 20 minutes remaining in regulation, but the goal was nullified due to offsides.

Buffalo had several chances to score throughout overtime before Niper’s goal, including a header off the post in the first overtime. Roberts controlled ball in front of the Cardinals’ net with five minutes remaining in the second overtime. Her shot was on target but not strong as it rolled to Ball State goalkeeper Alyssa Heintschel.

“We were a fraction off,” Burke said. “To Ball State’s credit, they provided a head here and a foot there and forced us off our shots. Again, our girls played well. They didn’t allow themselves to get down after our missed opportunities. Hopefully we get those chances next game.”

The Bulls play for championship at UB Stadium Sunday at noon against Western Michigan.

email: sports@ubspectrum.com