Besting the Bobcats: The Spectrum's scouting report

After starting the season 3-2, the Buffalo football team (3-5, 1-3 Mid-American Conference) has dropped three straight games, including a 20-14 loss to Central Michigan (6-4, 4-2 MAC) in its last game Oct. 27. The Bulls look to rebound when they travel to Athens, Ohio to take on Ohio (4-5, 2-3 MAC) Wednesday.

The Bulls have yet to win on the road this season and are surrendering 40 points a game away from UB Stadium. The Bulls’ last road victory came Nov. 19, 2013 when they defeated Miami Ohio 44-7.

The Bobcats rank fourth in the MAC in rush defense, allowing 147.4 rushing yards per game. They also rank sixth in the MAC in scoring defense, giving up 26.9 points a game.

Here are some of the players and matchups to look out for:

Quentin Poling, freshman linebacker

Poling is far from a one-dimensional player.

He leads the team in tackles (62), sacks (four) and interceptions (three). He has also accumulated seven pass breakups. After redshirting his freshman year, Poling has emerged as one of the best pass rushers and overall defensive contributors on the Bobcats.

At 6 feet tall, 220 pounds, Poling is a versatile threat on the field. He has the ability to drop into coverage or pursuit the ball carrier on any given play. The Bulls must always know where he is on the field.

Sebastian Smith, sophomore wide receiver

Smith has grown 3 inches since his freshman year, and it has made a difference in his production.

Last season, he finished with 12 receptions for 82 yards and no touchdowns. This season, he has 24 receptions for 284 yards and two touchdowns – all of which lead the Bobcats. He amassed a career-high 86 yards on nine catches against Bowling Green Oct. 11.

His speed makes him a down-the-field weapon and he will poise a problem for the struggling Buffalo secondary.

Jovon Johnson, junior linebacker

Johnson is a full-time starter for the first time this season. The move has paid off for Ohio, as Johnson is one of the top players on the fourth-ranked rush defense in the MAC.

Johnson is near the top of every defensive category on the Bobcats. He is second in tackles (54) and third in pass breakups (11). He also uses his big frame and quick feet to his advantage as a pass rusher, ranking first on the team with eight tackles for loss. He’s recorded two sacks this season.

Last week, he finished with eight tackles, one interception and a sack in Ohio’s 42-21 loss against Western Michigan.

Matchup to watch: Junior running back Anthone Taylor vs. Bobcats rush defense

Taylor has been one of the most consistent players on the Bulls this season. Buffalo’s last game was a different story.

After averaging close to 190 yards per game for three straight weeks, Taylor ran for 25 yards on 14 carries against Central Michigan Oct. 27.

It will be interesting to see if Taylor can regain his form against the fourth-ranked rush defense in the MAC. Will Taylor bounce back or will the Bobcats’ shut him down as the Chippewas did? The offensive line failed to open up holes against Central Michigan, so the onus is on the line to perform as well.