Volleyball aims to stay consistent to reach MAC title goal

Junior outside hitter Tahleia Bishop is set to make a bump. She returned to action for the Bulls on
Saturday after missing three games. Spectrum File Photo
Junior outside hitter Tahleia Bishop is set to make a bump. She returned to action for the Bulls on Saturday after missing three games. Spectrum File Photo

Junior outside hitter Megan Lipski said the volleyball team’s success is because of a new team dynamic. Junior outside hitter Tahleia Bishop said it’s because the team focuses on one game at a time.

There may not be a single answer, but there is one factor that the entire team, including head coach Reed Sunahara, agrees is key for Buffalo’s success this season.

Consistency.

“We have to play hard, stay healthy and overcome injury. If all of our players are consistent, the sky’s the limit,” Sunahara said.

The Bulls (13-7, 3-3 Mid-American Conference) won 12 of their first 16 matches, which included two first-place tournament finishes and a 12-set winning streak.

But Buffalo is just 1-3 in its last four games – all in conference – losing in straight sets twice over that span. The Bulls are currently in second place in the MAC East, behind Ohio (13-4, 6-0 MAC). The Bobcats defeated the Bulls in straight sets Oct. 3. Lipski believes the way for team to return to its winning ways lies in practice.

“We come with a list to know what he have to do,” Lipski said. “We have to be more consistent as a team. We’re getting some injured people back, getting some sick people back.”

Bishop, who leads the team with 268 kills and 699 total attacks, missed three straight games before returning in the Bulls’ last game against Ball State (11-8, 5-1 MAC) – a 3-1 loss. She missed the games with an undisclosed sickness.

Bishop earned MAC East Offensive Player of the Week twice this season and has two tournament MVP’s.

Junior setter Marissa Prinzbach missed the Bulls’ past four games. Bishop and Prinzbach’s absence has led to extended playing time for several of the team’s younger players.

Sophomore setter Megan Lin has replaced Prinzbach in the lineup the past four games and has 134 assists in that time.

After previously playing in just five sets this season, freshman outside hitter Skyler Day has appeared in each of the Bulls’ last 13 sets. Day is making an impact with her playing time as well, as she had a career-best 12 kills in Buffalo’s 3-0 win over Akron Oct. 9.

Freshman Niki Bozinoski has started all 20 games at libero for the Bulls, replacing 2013 MAC Defensive Player of the Year Kelly Svoboda. Bozinoski leads the team with 237 digs.

Buffalo has gotten consistent play from its other upperclassmen beside Bishop.

Lipski finished last season with 66 digs, but she has already accumulated 167 digs halfway through this season. She was awarded MAC East Offensive Player of the Week Oct. 13.

After not appearing in a game either of the past two years, senior outside hitter Sable Staller has 99 kills and 99 digs this season. Junior outside hitter Amber Hatchett is third on the team with 154 kills. Junior middle blocker Akeila Lain is fourth on the team with 121 kills.

Players said this year’s team, which is under first-year coach Sunahara, has a different “dynamic” compared to years past.

“Reed is a hands-on coach,” Bishop said. “If you’re struggling with something, he’ll work with you personally to make sure you have it down.”

Lipski added Sunahara brings a lot to the program and pushes the team harder than it in previous years. Sunahara and the rest of the Bulls said the team can regain its form from the first half of this season.

“We’re going for it,” Bishop said. “We’re all in. It’s a willingness to do what it takes. We’re making mistakes, but we’re pushing together as a team.”

The Bulls look to regain their form this weekend when they take on two of the top-three teams in the MAC West. Buffalo travels to Kalamazoo, Michigan to take on Western Michigan (12-8, 4-2 MAC) Friday. The Bulls then face Northern Illinois (13-7, 6-0 MAC) on the road Saturday. Friday’s match is scheduled for 7 p.m.

email: sports@ubspectrum.com