SUNY overhauls sexual assault policies

UB officials say university already follows much of the new rules

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced he will be implementing a new SUNY policy about sexual assault that will apply to all 64 campuses. UB officials say the university already has similar policies to the ones that are being proposed.
Courtesy of Diana Robinson
Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced he will be implementing a new SUNY policy about sexual assault that will apply to all 64 campuses. UB officials say the university already has similar policies to the ones that are being proposed. Courtesy of Diana Robinson

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Thursday all 64 SUNY schools will have uniform policies on sexual assault. UB officials say much of the university’s policies are already aligned with the new SUNY rules.

The governor attended a SUNY Board of Trustees meeting, where members passed a resolution to implement polices for dealing with sexual assault at SUNY schools like UB. He said he wants the policy to eventually lead to a statewide law including the state’s private universities. Cuomo is also proposing to add a Sexual Assault Victim’s Bill of Rights that will be distributed to notify victims of their right to go to the police or campus enforcement.

“A woman’s consent in Oswego should be a woman’s consent in Buffalo, should be a woman’s consent in Albany,” Cuomo said at the meeting Thursday, which was broadcast online.

The resolution will define a SUNY-wide meaning of consent; a policy that provides amnesty for legal violations, like underage drinking or drug use, if a student files a sexual assault report; a training program for campus police and administrators on how to deal with sexual assault reports; and a public campaign on the issue.

UB defines sexual assault as “any sexual act committed against a person without their consent,” according to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. It also defines consent as “a voluntary, verbal agreement between equal and unimpaired partners, without coercion.” The university also has a definition for stalking, sexual violence and domestic violence.

Cuomo described the current state of sexual assaults as an “epidemic” that is “plaguing college campuses.” He said one in four females will experience sexual assault.

Anna Sotelo-Peryea, violence prevention specialist at the UB Wellness Education Services, appreciates Cuomo’s attention to sexual assault on college campuses.

“It is an issue that receives far less attention than its prevalence and impact would demand,” Sotelo-Peryea said in an email. “I think it makes sense to begin tackling this issue through SUNY, as we are the largest system, and stand well poised to provide leadership for other New York schools.”

This fall, UB assembled a presidential-level Sexual Assault Working Group that is assessing UB’s sexual assault prevention and response efforts. The group is responsible for identifying opportunities for students to prevent and address sexual assault.

Sharon Nolan-Weiss, director of the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Title IX coordinator, said UB is already doing most of the policies that will be initiated by the SUNY Board of Trustees. UB also already has a victims’ bill of rights.

Nolan-Weiss said UB developed the Confidentiality and Reporting Protocol that is being used as a model for other SUNY campuses in the policy changes.

SUNY trustees voted to give the SUNY campuses 60 days to instate the new sexual assault and prevention plans. Presidents will have to report back to Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher by March 31, 2015.

All schools are required to inform students about sexual assault prevention measures as well as to spread the awareness of rape and other sexual offenses, according to SUNY policies. This can be through workshops, seminars or other informational programs.

Sotelo-Peryea said she hopes the official policy will take into consideration the work that individuals have done at all the different SUNY campuses. She said the experiences and ideas of those currently working with sexual assault on college campuses are able to know what is needed in a policy.

“I think the extent of the value will come down to the details of what exactly will this orientation training, awareness campaign and climate survey look like – how will they fit our diverse student body, will they reflect the best practices and research that has informed our efforts, and thereby enhance our comprehensive plan,” Sotelo-Peryea said.

There are currently programs and resources at UB for students like bystander intervention training, the Men’s Group and the Survivor Advocacy Alliance.

“An important thing to remember is that sexual assault prevention is the responsibility of the entire UB community,” Nolan-Weiss said.