Bulls Breakdown

Senior wide receiver Devon Hughes dives for junior quarterback Joe Licata’s pass during Buffalo's game against Central Michigan Saturday. Licata was picked off at the 2-yard line by Central Michigan’s Brandon Greer. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum

Stat rundown:

-Buffalo was outgained in most categories, including rushing yards, total yards and time of possession. The Bulls outgained Central Michigan in passing yards, but only by two (233 to 231).

- Central Michigan converted three of four fourth down attempts. The Chippewas’ first fourth-down conversion came on a fourth-and-9. Saylor Lavalli scored a 4-yard touchdown on the following play.

- Junior running back Anthone Taylor struggled throughout the game, finishing with only 14 carries and a season-low 25 rushing yards after four straight games with more than 100 rushing yards.

- Junior quarterback Joe Licata completed 21 of 35 passes for 233 yards and two touchdowns, but he also threw two interceptions and was sacked twice. Licata is now just one touchdown pass behind Drew Willy (52) for the most in program history.

- Junior wide receiver Ron Willoughby and Licata connected for four passes, 90 yards and a touchdown. His 28-yard score came with 1:49 remaining in the first half.

- Buffalo’s ‘D’ finished the game with five sacks. Senior safety Adam Redden led the Bulls with two sacks, while junior safety Okezie Alozie had 1.5. Buffalo recorded just its second interception of the season, courtesy of senior safety Witney Sherry in the third quarter.

Turning point:

With the game tied at 14 and Buffalo on Central Michigan’s 34-yard line, Licata threw a deep pass to senior wide receiver Devon Hughes. Central Michigan’s Brandon Greer intercepted the pass at the 2-yard line.

The Chippewas then went on a 16-play, 98-yard drive that ended with the game-winning touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Titus Davis.

When the game was lost:

After a missed extra point after Davis’ touchdown catch, Buffalo had two possessions to potentially win the game. Both, however, ended in failed fourth down conversions.

Buffalo’s final offensive play was a failed fourth-and-six on its own 41-yard line. Central Michigan ran out the remaining 1:28.

Buffalo Player of the Game:

Redden had 10 tackles, two sacks and 3.5 tackles for losses. His strip sack and recovered fumble in the second quarter shifted the momentum in Buffalo’s favor, as the Chippewas were driving down the field with a 14-0 lead at the time. The turnover led to Buffalo’s first touchdown drive.

Central Michigan Player of the Game:

Davis led all Central Michigan receivers with six catches and 100 yards. His game-winning touchdown was a 6-yard reception with 8:08 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Quote of the game:

“Our backs are against the wall and we know that,” said senior center Trevor Sales. “But we’re not going to go hide in the corner and cry about it. There’s four games left … and we’re going to come out swinging and we’re going to finish this thing out strong. There’s going to be some fun ones to watch. So stay tuned.”

Next game:

The Bulls travel to Ohio (4-5, 2-3 MAC) Nov. 5. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. and the game will be aired on ESPN2.