UB Bull Boise Ross changes to cornerback

Sophomore wide receiver switches back to high school position

Sophomore cornerback Boise Ross scans the Baylor offense in the Bulls’ 63-21 loss last Friday. Ross switched from wide receiver to cornerback last week. Courtesy of Paul Hokanson, UB Athletics

Before last Friday night’s game, Boise Ross had not played defensive back in an official game since high school. His task in his first game at his old position: defend the No. 4 ranked passing attack in the country and its Heisman candidate quarterback.

“[The game] was huge for me,” Ross said. “It was a steppingstone for my college career.”

Ross, a sophomore, started this season at wide receiver, but after injuries to the football team’s secondary, head coach Jeff Quinn decided to move Ross to cornerback before the Bulls’ game against Baylor.

Junior defensive back Marqus Baker missed the Bulls’ first three games with an unknown illness. Quinn said that when Baker “went down,” the team started slotting Ross in sub-defensive packages in practices.

Due to uncertainty around Baker’s status and the emergence of several Buffalo wide receivers like juniors Ron Willoughby and Marcus McGill, Quinn decided to make Ross a fulltime cornerback. After the Bulls lost 47-39 to Army on Sept. 6, Quinn called Ross into his office to tell the sophomore the news.

“Boise is a competitor, he wants to get on the field and compete,” Quinn said. “He’s an outstanding wide receiver but I also know if you’re an outstanding football player you can play multiple positions.”

Ross said he took the position change well and accepted his new role. Quinn said he impressed by Ross’ willingness to switch positions for the best interest of the team.

“We needed help and whatever it takes to help the team I’m willing to do,” Ross said.

Ross played both wide receiver and cornerback at Liberty High School in Pennsylvania. He earned first-team all-State honors at wide receiver and second-team all-State honors at defensive back. He had 93 tackles and five interceptions in his junior year.

The Buffalo coaches did not discuss playing defensive back with Ross when they recruited him. Defensive coordinator Lou Tepper visited Ross during recruiting trips, so Ross said he had heard a lot about Buffalo’s defense.

Ross said the techniques he learned in high school – like backpedaling and getting out of his brakes – have helped him with the Bulls.

Several other defensive backs, like seniors Adam Redden and Courtney Lester, were originally wide receivers when they came to Buffalo. Redden believes Ross can make the transition back to cornerback.

“I don’t think it will be too challenging [for Ross] because for myself it wasn’t too challenging,” Redden said. “It’s football to us, if you go from playing corner to wide receiver you’ve seen it before be cause the corner plays the wide receiver and vice versa. He’ll be a great piece to our defense.”

Ross’ transition has been easier because he is going from playing wide receiver to cornerback, two positions that often go head-to-head. Ross said he thinks about what route the receiver he is covering will run, as opposed to thinking about what route he himself will run.

Ross said Lester and senior defensive back Dwellie Striggles have been instrumental in teaching him the defense.

“They’ve been getting on me about how the system works and how everything works,” Ross said. “Learning from them and picking their brains is huge and that’s what I’m trying to do right now.”

Ross feels comfortable practicing with the defensive backs and attending their meetings because he had friendships with the defensive backs before the position switch.

“It’s definitely good to have Boise on what we call ‘the dark side,’” Redden said. “If he couldn’t do it, he wouldn’t be there.”

Ross played mostly in third down passing situations in Friday’s 63-21 loss to Baylor Friday. He did not record a tackle or pass deflection in the game, but Ross believes it was great experience for him going forward in making the transition to cornerback.

“Getting out there and actually being in an actual game and getting the actual calls is much different than just going through the practice motions,” Ross said.

Quinn said there is a possibility Ross could switch back to wide receiver if Baker is able to return this season.

“You always keep an open mind,” Quinn said. “I would like to be able to have that conversation by being able to have Marqus back but right now it’s just going to play itself out.”

Ross still missies the thrill of catching touchdowns, but he is content with now trying to stop them instead.

“I miss [playing wide receiver] of course, but I’m all for the team so whatever the team needs, they needed me out at cornerback, I’m willing to change,” Ross said.

Ross will be seen wearing No. 1 and trying to force incomplete passes this weekend as opposed to his usual No. 87 and trying to receive touchdowns. Buffalo hosts Norfolk State (0-3) Saturday at UB Stadium. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m.