The Bear trap: The Spectrum's Scouting Report

Courtesy of Baylor Athletics
Courtesy of Baylor Athletics

Don’t be fooled by the 47-39 score against Army last week. Buffalo trailed by 30 in the fourth quarter and were outplayed the majority of the game. The offense was not playing in rhythm and the defense did not follow its assignments. Things will only get harder for Buffalo (1-1) when it faces its toughest competition all season: No. 8 Baylor (2-0).

Here’s a few things to know about the defending Big 12 champions.

Offensive Players to Watch:

Bryce Petty, senior quarterback

Petty missed Baylor’s last game due to cracked bones in his back, but he’s been cleared to play against the Bulls. The Heisman candidate and reigning Big-12 Offensive Player of the Year is a tremendous threat to the Buffalo defense and one of the most decisive and talented college quarterbacks in the country.

He threw for 4,200 yards and 32 touchdowns in 2013. Last year against Buffalo, he completed 13 of 16 passes for 338 yards and two touchdowns before he was removed from the game when the Bears took a commanding lead.

K.D. Cannon, freshman wide receiver

Each of the Bears’ top-four returning receivers from last season has all battled injuries this season. Cannon has made up for that production.

The freshman had six catches for 233 yards and three touchdowns in a 70-6 victory over Northwestern State last week. The true freshman possesses incredible speed – proven by his 4.56 40-yard dash – and is a downfield threat every play. With Petty back under center, Cannon could be even more dangerous.

Defensive Player to Watch:

Bryce Hager, senior linebacker

He earned two All-Big 12 linebacker awards, led his respective conference in tackles per game last season (9.5) and was named to 2014 preseason All-American team by Sporting News.

Hager is the leader of the No. 2 ranked defense in the country that has only allowed six points through the team’s first two games. He plays with the intensity of a linebacker but possesses the feet of a defensive back. His awareness for the football is excellent, given his team-leading 11 tackles last week against Northwestern State. Hager has played like one of the best linebackers in the country to begin the season.

Key Matchup:

Bears’ passing attack vs. Bulls’ secondary

The Bulls’ secondary lost seniors Najja Johnson and Derek Brim, but no one could have expected this dramatic of a drop-off. The ‘D’ allowed 322 passing yards and three touchdowns to Duquesne. Even Army’s quarterbacks completed all seven passes of their passes for 125 yards.

With the No. 2 offense in the nation coming to Buffalo with its Heisman-contending quarterback back at the helm, it is going to be interesting to see how the Buffalo defense will matchup against Baylor’s aggressive passing attack. Even without Petty for the majority of their first two games, Bears quarterbacks have combined to throw for 768 yards and eight touchdowns. The secondary needs to improve or it could be another long day for the group.