Bulls volleyball team starts 2-0 in Mid-American Conference play

Bulls return home and excite fans with victories over Bowling Green and Miami Ohio

Junior middle blocker Amber Hatchett and the volleyball team defeated Bowling Green and Miami Ohio this weekend for a 2-0 start in MAC play.  Kainan Guo, The Spectrum

After weeks of preparation and tournaments, the volleyball team came back home this weekend, ready to show off its skills in Mid-American Conference play.

The result was a sweep and a 2-0 start for this first time every in MAC competition.

The Bulls (11-4, 2-0 MAC) came away with victories in straight sets over Bowling Green (3-11, 0-2 MAC) and Miami Ohio (8-6, 1-1 MAC) to begin conference play. The Bulls have won five straight games, matching a season-best winning streak.

“It was a great way to start off Mid-American Conference play,” said head coach Reed Sunahara. “We did some things that I liked out there, and I’m happy with that. I thought our blocking was pretty good. [Freshman outside hitter Skyler Day] came up with a big block, had some nice serves, so I thought she did a good job.”

The Bulls made quick work of Bowling Green on Friday in a straight set victory 25-17, 25-21, 25-23. Buffalo rallied from an 18-14 deficit to win the third set, largely due to five attack errors from Bowling Green. Junior outside hitter Tahleia Bishop had back-to-back kills to seal the victory.

“Volleyball is a game of momentum,” said junior setter Marissa Prinzbach. “We had a key block and a key kill during that set and I don’t think anyone on this team looked back at all. [Freshman libero Niki Bozinoski] had a good service string, and overall, we gave everything we had. It was good for us to have a little adversity and pull the set out.”

Bishop finished with 18 kills and nine digs against Bowling Green, while junior outside hitter Megan Lipski added seven kills and seven digs. Junior middle blocker Akeila Lain finished with seven kills and three digs, while Prinzbach added 31 assists and three blocks.

The Bulls followed up their victory against Bowling Green with a matchup against Miami Ohio, as the game began just as the football team’s game with the RedHawks was concluding.

Much like the football game, the Bulls won, but it wasn’t easy.

Buffalo won in straight sets 25-18, 26-24, 25-20 Saturday. The Bulls won easily in the first set, but much like Friday’s match, Buffalo had to rally back.

The Bulls trailed 22-16 in the second set, but then went on a 10-2 run to win the set.

The third set was much of the same. Miami Ohio took an early lead, but the Bulls tied it up midway through. The RedHawks and Bulls held ties at 13, 16, 17, and 18 points, before the Bulls outscored Miami Ohio 7-2 to close out the set and the match.

Four of the final seven points came courtesy of kills by Bishop, who finished with a game-high 18 kills and 14 digs. Junior outside hitter Amber Hatchett had seven kills. Lain totaled five kills, Bozinoski added 13 digs and Prinzbach added 27 assists, seven digs, and six blocks.

“We’re learning, it’s a learning process. For us, it’s not about the wins and losses, it’s about the process and how we approach that right now,” Sunahara said. “The bottom line is that we have to get better. Kids are working, and it’s all coming to plan. Hopefully we reach our goals at the end.”

Buffalo continues MAC play on the road next weekend, when it faces Ohio (9-4, 2-0 MAC) Friday and Kent State (8-7, 0-2 MAC) Saturday. Friday’s game is set for 7 p.m.